Author Topic: The coins of French India  (Read 134 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
The coins of French India
« on: January 10, 2019, 01:53:51 PM »
You are lucky if you can read french and you have recommendable taste if you collect Indian coins. ;)

If you have both qualities, you will be interested by La monnaie de l'Inde Français Des origines à 1840, Histoire et catalogue, by Daniel Cariou. This is a publication of the Société de Numismatique Asiatique.

In the English speaking world, much effort has gone into publishing an cataloguing English colonial issues. That left the French Indian colonial issues with largely pre-second world war books and Gadoury's general work on French colonial issues. Cariou proves that much more can be said about French colonial coins for India, even though he strays from his subject by including issues of Ile de France (Mauritius) and Ile de Bourbon (Réunion) and Napoleonic issues for what is now Indonesia. He compensates by including French tokens related to French India.

Though the book wants to be a catalogue, it is not a handy list of all issues. With this book, some patience and Excel you can make one yourself, though. Cariou does mention all types in the text, giving them his own catalogue number. Neither does the book give much economic background and the historic background presumes at least an education in a French school. However, the colour photographs of the coins are simply sumptuous. A number of coins and tokens illustrated I have not seen before, notably the Monnerons for Isle de France and all 45 tokens included. The maps are helpful to locate the mints discussed.

The book is A4 format, paper back (looks like an auction catalogue), 132 pages, over 200 illustrations, mostly colour and some pen drawings. A digital version is available. It can be ordered here - scroll down to number 8.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
Re: The coins of French India
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 10:35:42 AM »
Until now I used for French India "Jetons, medailles et monnaies des Companies des Indes" by the same author. It was issued in "Cahiers de la Compagnie des Indes", N° 1 - 1996.
Good to hear about the new book. A quick search in the net did not show any offer of this book. Where can I buy it?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: The coins of French India
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 08:58:49 PM »
Just click on the highlighted word here in the last sentence of my post, where you will find instructions and payment details. Let me know if you need help ordering the book.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.