Author Topic: China, Xinjiang, Jiaqing (Chia Ching) AE Cash, Aqsu mint  (Read 170 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
China, Xinjiang, Jiaqing (Chia Ching) AE Cash, Aqsu mint
« on: January 07, 2019, 04:06:12 PM »
These two coins came in an Islamic coin collection I bought about 5 years ago. i have no refs for this type with Islamic script but presume they belong under Xinjiang

there are variations in both of the scripts, the Islamic appears to read aqsu
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:49:06 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: China, AE Cash from Xinjiang ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 04:53:12 PM »
Hartill 22.560, Remmelts 194r, emperor Jiaqing (Chia Ching). Hartill dates them 1798-1800. Aksu mint (Xinjiang). Unusual for me to see these in the wild.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:11:33 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 06:03:08 PM »
Hartill 22.560, Remmelts 194r, emperor Jiaqing (Chia Ching). Remmelts dates them 1798-1800. Aksu mint  (Xinjiang). Unusual for me to see these in the wild.

Peter

Thanks Peter, is it a scarce type?
Vic

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 06:10:41 PM »
Yes, it is. Aksu had a lower production quotum assigned to it than other Chinese provincial mints. It also had to deal with regular shortages of metal that must have hindered production.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: China, Xinjiang, Jiaqing (Chia Ching) AE Cash, Aqsu mint
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 08:53:27 PM »
Another one from the same lot, also Aqsu mint but with some different Chinese characters on both sides
Vic

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 10:24:46 PM »
These were considered scarce, as were all Xinjiang cash, until about 1980, when they were mass-exported to "cash" in on that.   These are all common types now (a few euros) although nice condition and toning.    The center coin has reign title Jia Qing (aka Chia Ching).   Hartill is mistaken in the order of its two types.   This came second, cast about 1800-20.

The top coin carries the honorary posthumous reign title of Qian Long (Chien Lung).   It was cast shortly after the recapture of Xinjiang in 1878.    The type about 1880-83.     

Bottom coin same reign title situation, 1885-92.    The Manchu writing on it reads Aksu, although some read a similar-looking Guangsu.   The emperor from 1875 was Guang Xu (Kuang Hsu).

Note that Manchu is written vertically, yet via its common ancestry to Arabic, when turned sideways is semi-legible as such.    When "Kucha" is written, it is not always known which was intended.    Vertical Uighur script was adopted by the illiterate Mongols.   It was in turn picked up by the Manchus, and given diacritical marks to clarify lettering.    In modern Mongolia, the Russian alphabet is primarily used, but the old script also.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 11:10:24 PM »
Thank you bgriff99, most informative, I hadn't realised the pseudo Arabic script was in fact Manchu  :o
Vic