Author Topic: Safavids, Isma'il Shah I / falus of Ardabil dated 925 AH  (Read 218 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Safavids, Isma'il Shah I / falus of Ardabil dated 925 AH
« on: January 04, 2019, 11:44:08 AM »
9,03g /20 x 28mm
I could not find a safavid falus similar to this one.

The legend of the reverse : « falus Shah-i  (copper coin of the Shah)» indicates that it is a state coin and not a civic copper.
The mint name « Ardabil » is partially on the other face but it has needed to me some time to identify the additional words also present which belong with no doubt to « dar al-Ershad », the epithet of the city (« abode of guidance »).
The full legend could be : "zarb Ardabil dar al Ershad 925 / ضرب اردبیل  دار ال ارشاد  "
The coin is dated 925AH and so is a coin struck by Shah Isma’il , in the city of Sheikh Safi al-din (1252-1334 AD), the founder of  the Safaviya  order , whose name is the root  of the name of the Safavid dynasty  founded by Shah Isma’il  in this city of Ardabil.
Shah Isma'il died and was burried at Ardabil.

Safavids state copper coins are exceptions, only local civic coppers are usually found and for Ardabil no civic copper with epithet is reported.

An historical coin I think...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:39:54 PM by saro »
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Safavids, Isma'il Shah I / falus of Ardabil dated 925 AH
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 02:58:41 PM »
excellent find, is this a new  acquisition or one from your past?
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 04:57:44 PM »
excellent find, is this a new  acquisition or one from your past?
It's a recent acquisition, with no specific attribution except "safavid", and it has needed some time and researches to obtain an accurate identification; fortunately this falus is dated. However I failed to find it in books, databases or past auctions; unpublished it seems  ???

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 11:21:44 PM »
Thank you for posting such a highly interesting coin here, saro. I am sure Oesho would be interested in an extended write-up. You can count on language assistance, if needed.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 12:59:49 AM »
The Safavids are not really my field of expertize, but as far I know is that the epithet of Ardabil is "dar al-Irshad". In the Checklist of Stephen Album, no copper issues have been listed for Isma'il Shah I, but on the listing of 'Iranian Civic Copper' he mentions K3215.1: "dar al-Irshad (= Ardabil).

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 12:45:35 PM »
as far I know is that the epithet of Ardabil is "dar al-Irshad". In the Checklist of Stephen Album, no copper issues have been listed for Isma'il Shah I, but on the listing of 'Iranian Civic Copper' he mentions K3215.1: "dar al-Irshad (= Ardabil).
Many thanks ! Indeed "dar al-Irshad" should be better than"dar al-Ershad", that depends of authors transcriptions  (I have also found on a document of iranian origin a transcription as "darur Arshad")
I have not be able to see a picture of the coin K3215.1 but the coin Album 3218, a later civic issue, shows the full name, however with somewhat erased parts, "dar al-Irshad Ardabil" with a similar arrangement as on this falus.

Copper coins struck at time of Shah Isma'il I are very rare till now but exist, a civic copper of Kerman dated 926AH is listed by Bahram Alaedini (p.43) and I'll show soon a civic copper of Astarabad, clearly dated 920H (Lion & Sun type)