Author Topic: 1/4 Anna 1862 Bombay mint, dot below the date  (Read 208 times)

Offline Robichari

1/4 Anna 1862 Bombay mint, dot below the date
« on: December 09, 2018, 03:42:30 AM »
Rare coin with mintage 2,366,000 - it is lowest mintage of Victoria quarter annas. Here is mine, bought on ebay for 5 dollars.

Please share yours...

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 1/4 Anna 1862 Bombay mint, dot below the date
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 12:26:05 PM »
The year 1862 is interesting. First, it is the first year of mintage, which is when the chances of varieties are the largest. Second, it is a frozen year: the quarter annas dated 1862 were actually struck in the period 1862-1873. Since dies wear out, there is an added chance of varieties, though the introduction of the pantograph had made varieties by accident much less likely. If memory serves, the frozen date was to break the habit of Indians to value coins differently according to their date. However, sometimes, control freak-ism set in and the coins received a secret mark, a small indication of when or where they were struck. As an added complication, in 1865, a new copper mint was opened in Calcutta/Kolkata. Presumably because the new mint used better machinery, the quarter anna coins it struck were slightly smaller.

The die types of your coin are known as A and I. The die I reverse is easiest to recognise: there is a leaf below the 1 and the 2 in the date. Die 1 obverse is distinguished by the design of the bottom panel of the dress. This has become vague on your coin, but since all dot-below-date coins are A/I, it must be die A: a single flower at right in the panel. The dot under the date is a secret mark. It is attributed to the Bombay mint, as your title indicates. It is not known if it indicates a certain period, but pricing suggests the dot was used one year only.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Robichari

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »
Thank You, Peter! It  is very ineresting information about history of this coin.
I am glad to have this, especially it was tough to get in low price ;)

From what sourses do You get information about such history "adventure" of the BI coins?

Robert

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 03:40:45 AM »
You were very fortunate to get this very scarce coin for cheap. I canít give pricing, but this variety carries a premium. Congratulations!

Offline Robichari

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 12:54:08 PM »
Thank You, Repindia. Yeah, it was a good deal. Ngccoins show for a fine grade price 150 dollars, but it is not a real value, think. From my experience a real price for such coin in fine grade is near 30-50 dollars.
The seller of this coin was not aware of the varieties for 1/4 annas 1862, and the coin has not any additional describe, only 1/4 anna 1862.

Robert
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:04:13 PM by Robichari »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 02:50:48 PM »
Thank You, Peter! It  is very ineresting information about history of this coin.

From what sourses do You get information about such history "adventure" of the BI coins?

Excellent question. For modern Indian coins, simply start with Krause and Mishler. Not the catalogue part, but the introductory remarks. My experience is that it is tempting for people to skip the texts, but they contain good information. An old edition should be considerably cheaper than the latest one. Also available in electronic format. Next, turn to The Guidebook and Catalogue of British Commonwealth coins by Remick, James, Dowle and Finn (3rd edition, Winnipeg, 1971) for good sketches of varieties. Should cost less than postage. Available in electronic format, but I am not sure if that version is legal. For more background, try finding A history of currency in the British colonies by Robert Chalmers (reprint, Colchester 1972).

Some of our members maintain web sites that may help also. At the top of each page, just above the fine horizontal line, click on Members/View the memberlist. In the second grey bar, click on Website. This will give you a list of members that have a web site. It will require time to go through all of them.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Robichari

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 05:30:52 PM »
Thank You Peter for good infromation, i'll try to get one of this books. What do You think about The Uniform Coinage of India 1835 to 1947 by Paul Stevens and Randy Weir? - cose i was going to buy this one.

Robert

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 05:45:20 PM »
Don't know the book, but heard much good about it. Others may want to share their experience.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:05:20 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Robichari

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 05:46:43 PM »
Thanks!