Author Topic: 2018 complete!  (Read 118 times)

Offline Angus

2018 complete!
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:53:29 AM »
Thanks to Andorra actually issuing its coins during the year they correspond to, I have managed to collect all coins for 2018, I think.  By my calculations there are 270 coins, including variants - the most ever!  See here: http://www.eurocollection.co.uk/2018.html

Notably, this is the first time all 23 countries have issued a standard coin - the 1 euro coin in this case.  Also, Luxembourg milks collection completers like myself by issuing three versions of each coin.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 2018 complete!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 01:25:16 PM »
Congratulations, Angus, but isn't "complete" in the eyes of the beholder? I take euro coins from circulation, collecting by type and mint or mint master mark and I want only coins that are actually circulating (sets don't count), so I would want far less than the 270 coins you list. You define what you want to collect, so what you collect is complete only in your own eyes.

Thinking about your accomplishment, I wonder what it would be like to collect the coins of 1918 and 1818. I would expect 1918 to be really easy, as the first world war would have ramped up coin production. The year 1818 would be technically interesting, as from 1816, countries would move to a double standard, with "full value" big silver and "token" small silver coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
2018 complete!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 01:32:42 PM »
Very nice!

I can see Vatican 1 and 2 (standard) too in your list. Are those from BU set, or have they issued a small quantity for circulation as well?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore (J. K. Rowling)

Offline Angus

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 02:12:34 PM »
Hi

I accept that definitions of 'complete' vary, and this is just my definition.  Mine is 'different coins that are legal tender across the Eurozone', however they are issued, collecting circulation coins only is of course equally valid.

I don't know about the Vatican coins, I just got the BU set.

Offline redlock

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 07:48:49 PM »

I can see Vatican 1 and 2 (standard) too in your list. Are those from BU set, or have they issued a small quantity for circulation as well?

Aditya

The 1 and 2 were issued in sets only. Thus far, the Vatican has only issued the 50 Cent coin for actual circulation starting in 2010.