Author Topic: Awadh copper falus with Stephen's cross  (Read 159 times)

Offline bisariajss

Awadh copper falus with Stephen's cross
« on: December 02, 2018, 09:06:00 AM »
Awadh copper falus with Stephen's cross

Thanks

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Awadh copper falus with Stephen's cross
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »
A bit technical, maybe, but it's not a St. Stephen's cross. The attribute of St. Stephen is known as a patrirarchal cross. This coin has a cross potent. Both are Christian symbols, but whereas the cross potent is a common Roman catholic symbol, the patriarchal cross is used more often in the Greek catholic world.

So how did the symbol end up on an Indian coin? I can only speculate. One possibility is that it was taken from Portuguese (colonial) coins. Someone may have seen and liked it, without realising that it was a religious symbol.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bisariajss

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 05:17:03 AM »
Regarding cross symbol, this is found on some of the Awadh coins and believed to be minted/added during the British occupation of Awadh.(British officer Henry Wellesley was the commanding officer)

Regards
Gaurav Bisaria

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »
Interesting. Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington had a brother called Henry, but he was a diplomat and in Spain when this coin was struck.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 10:56:08 AM »
Being struck off centre is showing a part of the die not often seen, I've checked my Awadh Kingdom Paisas but non show this part of the die. I do have this coin of Awadh, a Najibabad fish Paisa with the cross
Vic