Author Topic: Kesranids, Copper coins of the Shirvanshahs.  (Read 83 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Kesranids, Copper coins of the Shirvanshahs.
« on: December 01, 2018, 01:06:35 PM »
The Kasranids were a branch of the Shirvanshahs, who ruled the Shirvan region of the Caucasus for 387 years. The word "Kasra" was derived from legendary king Kai Khosrow of Iran, reflecting a shift in naming tradition from Arabic to Persian. The Kasranids name was part of an effort to break with their Arabic roots by claiming to be successors of the Sassanids and the Kayanian dynasty

I got a group of 9 of these real cheap, I find them fascinating in the way they are literally just blobs of molten metal quickly stamped with dies.
Weights do not seem important as my lot varies from 1.78g up to 8.98g.

Similar ones on zeno are listed under   'Shirvanshahs » Kesranid   and bear the name of one of the Caliphs

Edit: first one identified on zeno as Caliph an-Nasir. Probably Shirvanshah coin of Fariburz II bin Afridun, 622 AH,  Darbandi mint

Second one : AE Dirham of Akhsatan II b. Fariburz III, 653-665 » w. Möngke's tamgha and its name, 657(9)+
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:28:17 AM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Kesranids, Copper coins of the Shirvanshahs.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 12:05:20 PM »
I presume a shift from Arabic to Persian was at least partially inspired by politics. I can imagine that it was a balancing act between Seljuk/Ottoman and Persian influences in order to remain independent. In addition, the mention of Möngke khan points to the extension of the Mongol empire, probably especially in the area that is now Iraq.

As you say, fascinating coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 04:30:24 PM »
I got them them for just $2 each from a Russian seller with a feedback of just 6,  there were no bids on hardly any of his coins so I won them all. Presumably nobody trusted his low feedback but nevertheless they arrived after 10 days, very well packed and with lovely Russian stamps on the packet.   Another coin I won a few days later arrived today( coin from Lunavada)
Vic

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »
I think i also would associate these with the irregular bronze blobs from Georgia, which are almost invariably fake. Here the risk paid out well !