Author Topic: Jahangir Tatta- jahangiri heavyweight  (Read 155 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Jahangir Tatta- jahangiri heavyweight
« on: December 01, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
Hi all,
Here is another jahangiri rupee (20% overweight) from Tatta mint . Weight- 13.47gms. Nice large full and ornamental flan. 1015AH/Ry2
Obverse- Nuruddin Muhammad Jahangir badshah ghazi Ry2
Reverse- Kalima with zarb Tatta 1015AH
Do comment.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:42:28 PM by abhinumis »
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Jahangir Tatta- jahangiri heavyweight
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 11:42:12 AM »
Most excellent coin. Complete die on the flan and no marks. The 20% overweight is strange. I suspect this is not so much a coin for circulation, but rather a reward, a token of appreciation. In view of the regnal year, it may have had to do with the rebellion of Khusrau Mirza.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 12:28:22 PM »
....... The 20% overweight is strange. I suspect this is not so much a coin for circulation, but rather a reward, a token of appreciation.
Not so Peter. Soon after he took over the Mughal throne, Jahangir decreed that the coins should henceforth be struck 20% heavier in weight as compared to the earlier ones. In a few years, he once again decreed this to be increased to 25% (Sawai coinage). However, it soon became obvious that this did not work out and he had to go back to the standard one Tola rupees.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »
That explains it very well, Amit, though, as a romantic, I like my speculation better :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.