Author Topic: New coin found  (Read 186 times)

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
New coin found
« on: November 27, 2018, 05:16:29 AM »
Look what I found. I was cleaning another area of the living room(they say if you spend 20 minutes each day cleaning a specific spot you will get alot done in a few days). I had this envelope behind a kleenex box. Thought it was the 5000yr old arrowhead. I was wrong, it is Augustus Caesar with Artemis on reverse. I was wondering if Artemis is playing the bull game that the ancient Minoans played??
Anyway, this is such a beautiful coin. I am wrapping up 20 yrs of genealogy work on Wednesday. I plan to be back here and start enjoying my coins and talking and learning with you guys.
Ginger

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: New coin found
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 08:11:30 AM »
Hi Ginger,

Nice find !
Do not know if this is Artemis though. Traditionally in Greek mythology the bull is associated with Europa (where Zeus is the bull).

Anthony

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »
I think you are both right. Check out on Wildwinds RPC 1565, 1626, 1629, 1630, 1635 where the figure is called Artemis and RPC 4604 and 4609, where exactly the same figure is called Europa. My preference would be RPC 1626, but there's no lettering on Ginger's coin to prove it and I'd prefer Europa.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
Artemis Tauropolos. I see part of the legend ΑΜΦ(Ι)ΠΟΛ(ΙΤΩΝ) below the bull.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 10:49:21 AM »
Did a small search and it seems there is no real consensus who is intended in this depiction of the lady on a bull.

Remarkable thing is that the reference to Artemis Tauropolos almost only leads to depictions on the coinage of Amphipolis. This while a similar depiction of Europa, with curved veil above the head, is used in attribution of a plethora of other ancient artefacts like paintings, mosaics and statues.
Here an example of a Roman coin where allmost the same depiction is interpreted as Europa.
Here a mosaic where the additional figures strongly support the Europa attribution.
The attribution as Artemis Tauropolis is allegedly based on the archetype as Artemis as Bull hunter. The depiction itself seems to lack any symbolic reference to this.

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 03:31:04 AM »
Thank you guys. I don't have any experience with Europa on ancient coins. Thank you Overlord for seeing the letters. I will have to get it under the magnifier and check them out.
Thanks for the other explanations for who is on the back.
Nice to find a coin that makes us have to do a little research and maybe not except what comes on the card with the coin. Nice to have some research to do again.
I just still can't believe that this coin has been sitting on the table for so long and it is such a beautifully made coin. I have been showing to friends, they are amazed. My mother, who's husband suddenly passed away 6 wks ago, loved seeing a picture of the coin, brightened her day.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 08:44:32 AM »
Agree ! It is nice to have some intellectual discussion, but more important is when when a simple coin can put a smile on someones face!

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 03:53:10 AM »
This coin put a huge smile on my face!!
Ginger