Author Topic: An AE coin with elephant and some script ?JOTH  (Read 246 times)

Offline drnsreedhar

An AE coin with elephant and some script ?JOTH
« on: November 25, 2018, 01:20:06 PM »
I have a little cute brain teaser here. Its condition is not very good. But something can be seen on its sides. On one side, there is an elephant facing to right. There is script in Devanagari that I think is "Jath". On the reverse it has PersoArabic script that reads something like "Jathi" and "zarb" below. It weighs 2.76gms and Diameter is 12.6mm.
I am unable to place this anywhere. There was an IPS called Jath/Joth, but I am ignorant of its coins if any. Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to throw some light on it.
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: An AE coin with elephant and some script ?JOTH
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 02:57:18 PM »
It's a quarter paisa of Tipu Sultan (Mysore) / Khaliqabad mint.
Over the elephant it should be remains of a retrograde date in persian digits (1215 to 1218 AM written 5121 to 8121), not nagari script.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline drnsreedhar

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 03:15:52 PM »
Thank you very  much Saro.
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline drnsreedhar

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 04:06:54 PM »
Dear Saro,
With a little cleaning and some photographic experiments, it now looks like this. Any idea as to what it could be above the elephant? I am still unable to see anything sensible. It does not appeal to me as PersoArabic script as well. Then  ???. Any idea?
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 05:41:57 PM »
Very strange indeed ! that looks very like nagari letters and very closed to " जात / jat "as you suggested  ???
I have no idea except corrupt persian digits  ??? the other face is well "zarb Khaliqabad ضرب الق اباد  " in persian script

Offline drnsreedhar

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 05:03:53 AM »
Yes. Khaliqabad is for sure. The other side is a real puzzle! It must in all probabilities be corrupt Persian numerals, but what? We shall keep on working.Thank you.
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 02:37:11 PM »
From Henderson (The Coins of Haidar Ali and Tipu Sultan) wrote for Khaliqabad : "The coins are all roughly executed and the date is very frequently blundered"
S. Album coin #798 / auction 9 shows a date "66"
Refering to a same type 1/4 paisa (elephant to right, tail up), it appears that at left of the "date" there is the extremity of the tail, and the pseudo date  could be well here "222 / ۲۲۲  "  ??? written backwards (with rotation 180)  ??? ???

Offline drnsreedhar

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »
Thank you Saro for the reply. And your suggestion of date 222 being head down needs serious consideration. Unfortunately the coin is not of remarkable condition.  I forgot to post its weight and size in my previous posts. Here they are
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline drnsreedhar

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 10:38:49 AM »
Here is a qutb of the same mint
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 11:25:00 AM »
 222 is only a suggestion... this number is found on small cash of Haidar Ali and means "Hyder" using the Abjad code; may be there is a link  ???
see this post.

Offline drnsreedhar

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 05:57:09 AM »
Yes. I understand. It could very well be a corrupted date stamp. And Khaliqabad (identified as Dindugal in Tamilnadu by Henderson) is notorious for such corruptions due to ignorance of the local die carvers in Persian script. I know the place and what Henderson remarks is very true even now-a-days evidenced by the relatively low but improving literacy rate in artisan groups of that area. Thanks.
Dr.Sreedhar