Author Topic: Netherlands non-machine coffee token  (Read 158 times)

Offline Henk

Netherlands non-machine coffee token
« on: November 22, 2018, 05:03:02 PM »
I have the following coffee token from the Netherlands which is not for use in a coffee machine;
Zinc, 30 mm. Holed at top
O: A. VUIJK & Zn. / KOFFIE
R: A

The name Vuijk is relatively common, there are several firms with this name. The most likely issuer seems to be a shipbuilder with this name, operating in Capelle aan den Ijssel from 1872 to 1979. See: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Vuijk_%26_Zonen

The token probably dates from the 1950's of 60's

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Netherlands non-machine coffee token
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 06:01:35 PM »
Unless Mr. Vuijk dealt in coffee, it is likely a token that's good for coffee. The hole is presumably for easy collection and handling. The token pre-dates coffee machines. The metal and diameter are wrong, but common pre-1940. My best guess is that it was used like the Koolhoven token, whose use is described in the second paragraph here.

As for the issuer, the shipyard looks like a pretty good guess to me. There are several coffee machine tokens for shipyards in this area. A member of a historical society for one of them told me how a coffee token cost 5 cents. That's a pre-1940 price, therefore an indication that coffee tokens were in use on the yards before coffee machines came about. A shipyard is a large and cold place. It makes sense to have someone go around with coffee regularly, rather than have the workers drift to the canteen and back to work again.

I may be over-speculating, but it seems that the single A on the other side is the result of the dot after the A landing on the wrong place. The engraver shrugged and started again on the other side. That sort of procedure sounds like the tokens were made in-house. A shipyard would have the metal (zinc was used a.o. for piping on board), machines and know-how to do that.

May I encourage you to add this token to WoT? Let me know if you need help.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Henk

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
I may be over-speculating, but it seems that the single A on the other side is the result of the dot after the A landing on the wrong place. The engraver shrugged and started again on the other side. That sort of procedure sounds like the tokens were made in-house.

I doubt the token was made by individually punching the letters, the inscription is far to regular for that. I assume it was die struck.

The years it was used is a guess having no documentary evidence. It may indeed have been before 1940

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 08:55:49 PM »
I am 100% sure it was engraved. The drill marks are visible inside the letters.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.