Author Topic: Ptolemaic Kings of Egypt: Ptolemy I Soter, AR Tetradrachm Struck under Ptolemy I  (Read 162 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Ptolemaic Kings of Egypt: Ptolemy I Soter, AR Tetradrachm Struck under Ptolemy II, Alexandria mint, c. 285-246 BC, Svoronos 567, SNG Copenhagen 107, BMC p. 25, 7-8 (14.1 g, 28 mm)

My first Ptolemaic coin. Despite the graffiti on the reverse, I am happy with it. I was able to find the attribution online. The coin depicts Ptolemy I, the companion and historian of Alexander the Great.

Obverse: Diademed head of Ptolemy I right
Reverse: Eagle standing on thunderbolt, Galatian shield and monogram in left field, ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Beautifull tetradrachm ! Like the early Seleukid tetradrachms, the tetradrachms from the early part of the Ptolemeic dynasty still express a classical Greek style with high relief portraits. Love it !

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
What they said.

Among the diadochi, Seleucus was probably smarter and certainly more tenacious than Ptolemy, but The difference wasn't that big. Someone who has the capacity to sit out that power struggle, mostly supporting the weakest guys and remaining on the sidelines has my sympathy.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.