Author Topic: Jahangir rupee - din panah couplet of burhanpur  (Read 266 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Jahangir rupee - din panah couplet of burhanpur
« on: November 17, 2018, 07:49:33 PM »
Hi,
Here is a rupee of Jahangir of Burhanpur mint with the 'Din panah' couplet. The word 'din panah' means 'refuge of the religion'. The couplet reads "Sikkah zad dar shahr burhanpur shah din panah, shah Nuruddin Jahangir ibn Akbar badshah" which means "Struck coin in the city of burhanpur, the king (who is the)Refuge of the Religion, king Nooruddin Jahangir, the son of Emperor Akbar"
Do comment
Cheers
Dr.Abhishek

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Jahangir rupee - din panah couplet of burhanpur
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 12:29:12 AM »
Great coin, superb picture. TFP. The "Jahangir, the son of Emperor Akbar" part is claiming legitimacy. It is meant to make you forget he killed his brothers in the succession war. The "Refuge of the Religion" covers the spiritual part of the claim. I would guess that this coin was struck in the early part of his reign. Couldn't find a (regnal) year on the coin, though.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Saikat

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 03:35:32 AM »
Hi Peter,

I think, Jahangir never had the chance to kill his brothers Price Murad and Daniyal Mirja. Both of them were dead due to excessive alcohol consumption before Jahangir claimed the Mughal throne. Jahangir did managed to get his fathers most important minister Abul Fazal killed  though.

Jahangir usually put his fathers name on his rupees (one exception being Surat rupee KM# 148.01).

In other hand, lovely picture of a lovely coin. I attach mine which also doesn't have a date.
Thanks,
Saikat

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 06:20:14 AM »
Thanks Saikat and Peter for appreciating the coins. Yours is a lovely specimen too. The ry year is to the extreme left of Shah and hence almost always out of flan.
Speaking of legitimacy, Jahangir's rebellion against his father in the last years of Akbar's reign and also killing of Abu Fazl left a bad taste the mouth of several old courtiers (including khan-i-khanan Rahim Khan and several others) loyal to Akbar. It was important for Jahangir to make them feel at ease once he is emperor. So in all likelihood, he put Akbar's name in all early coins of his reign to give an impression of a loving son.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 07:34:49 AM by abhinumis »
Dr.Abhishek