Author Topic: 50 rupees note with star  (Read 1859 times)

Offline vdhinesh79

50 rupees note with star
« on: November 12, 2018, 10:35:52 AM »
I got a 50 rupees note with serial number 9DU*405209 signed by urjit patel and the year is 2018,do people collect this type of currency note

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
Re: 50 rupees note with star
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »
Yes. Star Series notes are also part of collection.

Basically, a star note is a replacement note. Whenever a particular note in a bundle is misprinted, torn, or any other defect, then earlier, the same serial note had to be printed again, which was a costly and tedious task.

Now whenever a particular note in a 100 piece packet is spoilt, only that particular note is replaced with another "STAR SERIAL" number note. The Band on the packet has the wordings - This packet contains non-serial star notes (or something like this - I am not sure of the exact wordings. )

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline vdhinesh79

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 01:17:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply
so,'''aproximately''' how many such notes are printed in a year,i am aware that it depends on various factor,so can you tell the aproximate number

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 05:05:57 AM »
Star notes are a big passion in India since lot of collectors collect errors and star notes are a type of error.

The reason for errors are poor quality of paper or poor quality of ink.
Since recent mass printing of currency notes in India saw introduction of indigenous paper as well as ink, it appears that large number of printing notes getting rejected in quality control and being replaced by star notes.

There are collectors who maintain a list of such series.

Here is one such list which may not be upto date or comprehensive

See

http://www.republiccoinsofindia.com/wp-content/pdf/star_note.pdf

Offline vdhinesh79

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 06:01:23 AM »
Thanks for the information

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »
Although Star notes are used as replacement notes, but quite often, you can find a full 100 note packet with all the star notes from S. No. XXXX01 to XXX100. So, it seems that the star notes are printed in advance, and if they are not used as replacement notes, the full packet of star notes is released for circulation.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline vdhinesh79

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 01:48:15 PM »
So does anybody have 50 rupees 2018 note with number starting from 9DU*

so that we can know ,to which category this note belongs to as pointed out by abhay

Offline vdhinesh79

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 11:57:24 AM »
Can anybody tell me ,how much  i can get if i trade it with the right collector

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
50 rupees note with star
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 02:53:00 PM »
Star series banknotes aren't as rare as you are thinking (unless they have a fancy number too!). You can easily buy one with any of the dealer. If it's used, then it's worth its face value or little above that.

I strongly believe that those bundles having consecutive star series notes are made 'on order'.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 10:09:30 AM »
Star series banknotes aren't as rare as you are thinking (unless they have a fancy number too!). You can easily buy one with any of the dealer. If it's used, then it's worth its face value or little above that.

I strongly believe that those bundles having consecutive star series notes are made 'on order'.

Aditya

No, it's not like that, as the price for the full star bundle is quite low (almost 10% premium on the face value). I think that the star notes must be printed in advance to keep them handy for replacement. And if there are not enough error notes, the remaining star notes are issued in full bundles of 100 notes. After all, star notes are legal currency, having the same face value.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »

Aditya

This is incorrect. Star notes are printed in advance. These are not made to order. In currency notes, there is next to impossible to get made to order.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 01:41:23 PM »
So does anybody have 50 rupees 2018 note with number starting from 9DU*

so that we can know ,to which category this note belongs to as pointed out by abhay

The price of star notes varies.

Generally around 5 lacs notes are printed in every year inset combination. In few cases around 20 to 40 lacs notes are printed, this depends on how many original non star notes are printed.

If there are less errors than anticipated, most of the star notes are then issued in bundles. This helps dealers and the price is quite low, I.e. 60 to 80 for a rs 50 note.

If the errors are more, then star notes get distributed in different bundles and dealer don't get quantity, the price goes up.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:55:41 AM by dheer »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
50 rupees note with star
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 03:52:48 PM »
This is incorrect. Star notes are printed in advance. These are not made to order. In currency notes, there is next to impossible to get made to order.

May be my understanding is incorrect, but shouldn't the erroneous and its replacement note have the same serial number? i.e. if A123 is the erroneous note, it's replacement note is *A123, right? If so, how can one print replacement banknotes be made in advance? ???

One of my closest relative works at RBI (he worked in currency department for years) and I have been told some really interesting stories about these star series banknotes, how those notes are 'sorted' and all... Also how the other major errors are taken out of RBI, even after QC checks...

Aditya

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 04:39:56 PM »
May be my understanding is incorrect, but shouldn't the erroneous and its replacement note have the same serial number? i.e. if A123 is the erroneous note, it's replacement note is *A123, right? If so, how can one print replacement banknotes be made in advance? ???

One of my closest relative works at RBI (he worked in currency department for years) and I have been told some really interesting stories about these star series banknotes, how those notes are 'sorted' and all... Also how the other major errors are taken out of RBI, even after QC checks...

Aditya

No. It  is not like that. Let's say in a bundle of 10 Rupee notes from Serial No. XXX001 to XXX100, Note Nos. XXX047 and XXX069 are spoilt, than these two notes will be removed from the bundle and will be replaced by two other notes which will be numbered randomly from the previously printed notes. So, the replacement notes could have any serial number like *YYY012 and *YYY013.

Now the next notes to go bad is say XXX289 and XXX299, than they will be replaced with *YYY014 and *YYY015.

If the replacement notes were to have the same serial number, then what was the need to introduce the star notes? You will appreciate the fact that to replace the Note Number XXX047, earlier the same serial number had to be printed again on the note, which used to take a lot of time, because the number will now be printed manually. But now, the same serial number is not required to be printed again. Instead the spoilt note is replaced with any other star note from the already printed replacement notes, thus saving a lot of energy and therefore time and money,

Abhay

INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 04:58:15 PM »

Aditya
Star notes are explained by Abhayji, it is spot on. They are replaced with next available star notes.
The bundle is marked as non sequential numbered bundle.

The RBI sorting is a different story.

Currency press print the notes. It is a multi step process. Made to order can't happen. Each bundle is quality signed by
2 individuals. These are sent to various RBI currency chest as per demand.

Now from here they are distributed to banks currency chests. Then to branch. Then to cashier.

This is a very long chain and I don't believe it can be effectively manipulated at large scale consistently. While there may be some influence by some at some times, it would be minor. The more efficient way is tapping the cashier at the counter at a lesser cost incurred by dealer.