Author Topic: Ionia, Smyrna, Bronze Homerium, c. 75-50 BC, Smyrna (Izmir, Turkey) mint  (Read 196 times)

Online Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Ionia, Smyrna, Bronze Homerium, c. 75-50 BC, Smyrna (Izmir, Turkey) mint, Milne 359; SNG Copenhagen 1207 (9.21 g, 21 mm)

Homer is a legendary ancient Greek epic poet, traditionally said to be the author of the epic poems the Iliad and the Odyssey. Smyrna was one of several cities that claimed to be the birthplace of the poet and at the source of the Meles River was a cave where the residents claimed he composed his poems. The city had a temple with a square portico in honor of Homer, which they called the Homerium. According to Strabo, they also called their bronze coins (this type) Homerium.

Obverse: Laureate head of Apollo right; laurel wreath border
Reverse: ΞMYPNAIΩN. The poet Homer seated left in himation, right hand raised to chin, left holding volume on his knees, transverse staff behind

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Ionia, Smyrna, Bronze Homerium, c. 75-50 BC, Smyrna (Izmir, Turkey) mint
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 06:58:16 PM »
Homerun ! nice find.
The amount of different Asia Minor types is staggering. Don't think i ever saw this one.

Anthony

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Ionia, Smyrna, Bronze Homerium, c. 75-50 BC, Smyrna (Izmir, Turkey) mint
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 12:20:50 AM »
A nice find, although this type was quite abundant til most ancient material went online.

Looks like i so far assembled 11 from different magistrates.

http://www.arminius-numismatics.com/coppermine1414/cpg1414/thumbnails.php?search=Homer+smyrna+ionia&submit=search&album=search&title=on&newer_than=&caption=on&older_than=&keywords=on&type=AND

regards