Author Topic: Oblong civic copper, ibex facing right, Farahabad mint  (Read 311 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Oblong civic copper, ibex facing right, Farahabad mint
« on: August 28, 2018, 02:01:36 PM »
This worn and corroded oblong persian civic copper  is somewhat awful ... ::)
I have noticed that Ardabil, Isfahan and Qom mints have struck coins showing a deer or an ibex; here the ibex has its left front leg bent.
The mint is uncertain but could be Urumi ?
26mm x 19mm / 8,52g /  not dated it seems.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:05:03 PM by saro »
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Oblong ivic copper with ibex facing right, Urumi ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 10:41:07 PM »
I wish I could help, but all I can say is great overlay. You did a wonderful job hiding the animal's private parts. ;D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 10:17:01 AM »
I don't think I would have spotted that it was an animal myself although I can see it now it's outlined
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 03:45:30 PM »
May be later a coin will appear with a similar posture of the animal and a legible mintname ?...
It is possible to read only "zarb falus" on the other face  :'( remains of what could be " mi / می " lead me to think to "Urumi"

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 05:27:41 PM »
I discover that exactly the same coin is listed by Bahram Alaedini...I should have just looked at the right page  ::)
It's a civic copper of Farahabad, a very rare mint indeed  :)  listed neither by R.Matthee (Monetary History of Iran) nor on Zeno.

This coin is not in better grade than mine, but however shows a good part of the mintname.
"Aries", 8,4g / 31,5mm x19 mm with this comment : "Farahabad is the name of two famous resorts of the Safavids kings (one near Sari and the other one near Isfahan)"

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Oblong ivic copper with ibex facing right, Farahabad mint
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »
Excellent, you can finally write out it's ticket!,  does the Bahram Alaedini coin have anything readable on the reverse?
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Oblong ivic copper with ibex facing right, Farahabad mint
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 09:11:14 PM »
This is the other face of the Alaedini's coin of which only the beginning of the mintname is clear "فرح  "
it must be the mint place (near isfahan) called "Ja'farabad" followed with a question mark, on H.Mathee's map 2 / Ja'farabad is present in the list of mints on Zeno (without coin).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:47:16 PM by saro »

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Oblong civic copper, ibex facing right, Farahabad mint (Ja'farabad ?)
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 07:54:00 AM »
 I wonder if " فرح اباد / Farhabad" is the same mint as "جعفرابد / Ja'farabad" found on the "be-lanat" series struck at time of the early Safavids rulers (see : be-lanat, Ja'farabad); this coin with an ibex (Aries ?) looks like a later issue and could be well from a different place  ???

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Oblong civic copper, ibex facing right, Farahabad mint (Ja'farabad ?)
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 10:13:11 AM »
I wonder if " فرح اباد / Farhabad" is the same mint as "جعفرابد / Ja'farabad" found on the "be-lanat" series struck at time of the early Safavids rulers (see : be-lanat, Ja'farabad); this coin with an ibex (Aries ?) looks like a later issue and could be well from a different place  ???

I would think very likely, we often see such similarities in variations of spelling of mints of coins of India
Vic