News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Salim shah coppers

Started by abhinumis, November 05, 2018, 01:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abhinumis

Hi all,
Jahangir was known as Salim before his accession. Coins with this pre-accession name are known from Ahmedabad amd Kabul mints. However it is only in Ahmedabad mint that
coppers coins are also known. The coppers coin in the name of 'Shah Salim' occurs in chautanki and do tanki denominations. Chau tankis are scarce whereas do tankis are rare. Here I post a set from my collection.
Do comment.
Cheers

Dr.Abhishek

sarwar khan

Quote from: abhinumis on November 05, 2018, 01:09:21 PM
Hi all,
Jahangir was known as Salim before his accession. Coins with this pre-accession name are known from Ahmedabad amd Kabul mints. However it is only in Ahmedabad mint that
coppers coins are also known. The coppers coin in the name of 'Shah Salim' occurs in chautanki and do tanki denominations. Chau tankis are scarce whereas do tankis are rare. Here I post a set from my collection.
Do comment.
Cheers
abhinumis sir nice coin "cong "

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

saro

These copper coins in name of Prince Salim Shah are not at all common  :applause:
They were struck at the very beginning reign of Akbar's son and are dated " Ilahi 50", the year of Akbar's death; very few coins show this date which is legible on your 4 tanki ! (at 3 o'clock).
Both coins bear the month "bahman" (11th month), 3 months after Akbar'death (aban /Ilahi 50).
Coins are known, at least, with "Dai"(10th) & "Isfandarmuz"(12th.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

abhinumis

You are right Saro(Bernard sir), Salim shah coppers are scarce and gave become rare to find since last 2-3 years. The do tanki is really rare and this is the only coin that I have seen in private trade. I believe 6 months are known to exist. The silvers are more easily available..
Dr.Abhishek