Author Topic: The joys of forgetfullness  (Read 368 times)

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
The joys of forgetfullness
« on: October 28, 2018, 02:45:43 PM »
I'd forgotten this and indeed can't remember how long I've had it or whence it came.
Just a folded piece of paper and I can't even read the address.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
Re: The joys of forgetfullness
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 02:46:43 PM »
When opened, it becomes something beautiful.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 03:12:34 PM »
Congratulations at finding things. I am much better at losing stuff, so we would be a good team ::) When I find things it is often a toy, casually left in a most inappropriate place. I find it by standing on it and hearing it snap or feeling it penetrate my foot or both while my granddaughters enthusiastically prepare for a good cry, so that, in my agony, I'll promise to buy them a new one. :P

Speaking about getting older, might I ask if that second picture could possibly be enlarged a bit? I thought it was some of my granddaughter's leftover food on my screen. :-[

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 03:28:03 PM »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 03:46:13 PM »
Thank you! And a right jolly piece it is. I like the blush on Victoria's cheek, though she might just have been agitated by all the revolutions that took place in 1848. The paper has deposited some crud on your model coin. I would recommend a gentle cleaning with acetone. I can now also read "One Penny Model Manufact'd (?) 1848". A delightful way to brighten a cold, windy Sunday.

Petr
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 10:22:27 PM »
A lovely thing to have with documentation.

By the way, the last line reads 'March 7th 1848': whether that is the date the piece was issued, or just the date the first owner acquired it I've no idea.

Alan

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 11:24:54 PM »
From English Copper, Tin and Bronze Coins in the British Museum 1558-1958 by C Wilson  Peck we read they are thought to have been produced in 1848 and your little folded piece of paper seems to confirm this.

Here below is the blurb from the book and he then goes on to give details of a dozen varieties.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.