Author Topic: possibly Greek  (Read 287 times)

Offline jkk

possibly Greek
« on: November 04, 2018, 12:00:38 AM »
Weight 6.5g, diameter 18.3mm, 3.8mm thick at center.

What do you suppose it is?
Jonathan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: possibly Greek
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 01:57:17 PM »
I'd rather think Roman provincial than Greek in a narrow sense.
I can't name the emperor directly from the portrait. Could be Titus or Domitian ?
Key to narrow down attribution may be the deity on the reverse. Now she's clearly holding a cornucopia. But for full identification one would have to
know whats in the ourstretched right hand and that's not really clear to me.
My first hunch would be to look for the issues struck under Roman authority in Judea.

Offline jkk

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 04:26:53 PM »
The bust definitely looks like a late first-century bust. I'm confounded by the lack of obverse legend.

I will have a look at the Judean Roman provincials and see if anything resembles it. Thanks!
Jonathan

Offline jkk

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 12:37:57 AM »
This http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/domitian/RPC_2034.jpg, RPC 2034, looks like a likely candidate, except that 18.3mm is a lot smaller than AE21. What I can read of the legend seems to match. Wonder what the whole thing says?
Jonathan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 04:28:28 PM »
Wildwinds does not like deep-linking. but this seems the same coin on CNG ?

Offline jkk

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 04:50:51 PM »
Yes, that's a match. My biggest question is the diameter, but I have a hypothesis to try.

The coin on WW weighs out at 6.89g, that on CNG 5.74g. Mine is 6.5g. It would seem mine is within the weight range for RPC II 2034.

The WW coin however is 21mm. The CNG version, 20mm. mine, 18.3mm. But mine is really rather thick. Could it be mine simply wasn't hammered with sufficient cumulative force to strike up the legend?
Jonathan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 07:54:13 PM »
Your coin is nicely round worn. The Wildwinds coin has an irregular shape. If they measured the largest diameter i would not be concerned about the size difference. I think they are all the same type.