Author Topic: Syria - 50 Pounds  (Read 304 times)

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Syria - 50 Pounds
« on: October 26, 2018, 07:46:20 AM »

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
Re: Syria - 50 Pounds
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 10:41:53 AM »
Thanks for the info Pabitra. The coin looks like a Sudanese one...
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.worldbcnews.com

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »
Perhaps minted by Sudan mint.
Syria and Sudan have very close ties for several decades.

Offline milkshakespeare

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 05:46:25 PM »
Perhaps minted by Sudan mint.
Syria and Sudan have very close ties for several decades.

Sudan seems to be a good guess. I'd have expected that any new Syrian coins would be made by the Russian Goznak, as are the recent Syrian banknotes, but judging by the photo the quality appears to be too low as the coin looks rather crude. It will be interesting to see this coin in person.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 09:40:13 PM »
The poor strike and lack of sharpness is there in Sudan coins.
Here is an example
Recently Sudan Mint automated some part of its minting. You can see the minting here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aT8tYE4xeRw

Syria and Sudan were partners in economic unity under the name of United Arab Republic from 1958 to 1961

Offline quaziright

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 10:05:38 PM »
The poor strike and lack of sharpness is there in Sudan coins.
Here is an example
Recently Sudan Mint automated some part of its minting. You can see the minting here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aT8tYE4xeRw

Syria and Sudan were partners in economic unity under the name of United Arab Republic from 1958 to 1961

I think you are confusing Sudan With Egypt. Sudan was under de facto British control until 1956. Egypt renounced claims to Sudan soon after its revolution in 1952. Egypt and Syria entered into a short lived union called the United Arab republic.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 10:07:36 PM »
I agree that this particular coin lions quite crude compared to Syrian coinage till about 10 years ago. However there have been a couple including a bimetallic which were only slightly better that this one imo

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 04:43:28 AM »
I agree that this particular coin lions quite crude compared to Syrian coinage till about 10 years ago. However there have been a couple including a bimetallic which were only slightly better that this one imo

I find the entire set to be weakly struck

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 04:47:28 AM »
I think you are confusing Sudan With Egypt. Sudan was under de facto British control until 1956. Egypt renounced claims to Sudan soon after its revolution in 1952. Egypt and Syria entered into a short lived union called the United Arab republic.

I am not in to history but I found simultaneously changing coat of arms in to similar design and then abandoning it by four countries ( Egypt, Syria, Sudan and Libya), during same period, bit too much of coincidence. How do you explain that?

Offline quaziright

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 05:06:17 AM »
I am not in to history but I found simultaneously changing coat of arms in to similar design and then abandoning it by four countries ( Egypt, Syria, Sudan and Libya), during same period, bit too much of coincidence. How do you explain that?

You can see the UAE coat of arms is an stylised eagle as well, that is indeed a strong trend in many Arab countries where the eagle is revered in some form or the other. Perhaps it came out a solidarity movement that eventually lead to the formation of the Arab league. That doesn’t change the fact that the united arab republic was a union of Syria and Egypt with Sudan no where in the picture

Offline quaziright

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 05:07:33 AM »
I find the entire set to be weakly struck

Yes that is true, however I was talking about certain previously issues Syrian coins

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 11:10:13 AM »
Yes, earlier coins of Syria were minted by Paris mint and Royal mint.
Issue of 50 Pounds coin was approved by Syrian Government vide decree no. 1 of 2010.
The work of minting was to be awarded to Swiss mint but the civil war spoiled the situation.
It is now only that the situation has stabilised and they could get the coins minted.

As you can see, Syrian Pound is no longer the same value as it was in 2010.
Hopefully, if the situation remains fine, we can expect coins of higher denomination too.