Author Topic: Fake Rupee of Sher Shah,  (Read 428 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Fake Rupee of Sher Shah,
« on: October 24, 2018, 03:02:35 PM »
This is a well made modern fake of a Rupee of Dehli Sultanate ruler ' Sher Shah'

I bought it from a seller in India on Ebay who was having 'an end of summer sale'   :D  there were also Rupees of Akbar, Shah Jahan, Assam, Awadh and Presidency rupees all at low prices, They were all rapidly sold the same day so presumably others will now notice they have fakes also. The Ebay photo's were not good enough to see really clear compared to my photo ( my excuse as I should have know better  :'()
 I looked at his listing again a couple of days later and saw another of the same type, close examination of the photo's showed they were from the same dies although not showing exactly the same part of the flan. I then noticed that duplicates of the other coins were on sale also. I emailed to ask the weight but was told it was already posted, he then gave me the tracking number .

When the coin arrived I checked the weight which was a bit high at 11.80g,   I'm not sure of the metal but there is no glaring evidence of casting that I can see so it seems they are die struck and this is why they vary on the flan. Looking closely I think the dies have possibly been engraved by a pantograph machine, if not then there are lots of skilled artisans in India who could engrave in the traditional way.

I contacted the seller again and told him I wanted to return it but UK post is high compared to India and I wanted him to pay the return cost.  Shortly after I had a Paypal message that the seller had refunded the original cost.  So I get to keep the coin to add to my rogues gallery tray of modern & contemporary fakes  :P
Vic

Online Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Re: Fake Rupee of Sher Shah,
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 03:19:30 PM »
I recall seeing this "batch" on eBay. From the photos, only looking at the seller's entire inventory rang bells of a verokamath-like similarity across their coins.

I am wondering if we should maintain a list the really bad eBay fake sellers (after discussing some of their coins) similar to some ancient coin forums such as Forvm.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 04:20:10 PM »
Here is the other one to match mine, I don't think it's Verokamath as he did not put them in staple cards
Vic

Online Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »
Here is the other one to match mine, I don't think it's Verokamath as he did not put them in staple cards
I did not mean to say that it was him, just that the coins in the seller's inventory had a uniform appearance (identifying them as products of the same "school"), a trait shared by verokamath's coppers (same colour and surface characteristics).

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 07:03:14 PM »
Thanks for the warning !
Not so nice, however, that one has to be ever more suspicious  :(

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 12:05:57 AM »
I am wondering if we should maintain a list the really bad eBay fake sellers (after discussing some of their coins) similar to some ancient coin forums such as Forvm.

Go right ahead and start a thread on this board. I suggest a sticky index of name, email address and a link to the thread here or elsewhere or whatever evidence available on the net. Make sure the evidence is convincing. Mistakes are human, not taking your responsibility or systematically offering fakes is fraud.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 06:10:55 PM »
Go right ahead and start a thread on this board. I suggest a sticky index of name, email address and a link to the thread here or elsewhere or whatever evidence available on the net. Make sure the evidence is convincing. Mistakes are human, not taking your responsibility or systematically offering fakes is fraud.

Peter
Sure. Will do. And I do agree that the evidence needs to be convincing. One way to achieve this is to start nomination threads with examples. If there is a general agreement on the examples being blatant fakes, the seller would make it to the list.

For now, I think Mr. verokamath will be the first member of this list when I start it this weekend.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 08:10:04 PM »
I think Verokamath or any of his aliases are no longer in production, I've not spotted any obvious ones of his lately, he's probably sunning himself on his luxury yacht
Vic

Offline iindica

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 12:20:15 AM »
This particular seller is coinbazzar  (https://www.ebay.com/sch/coinbazzar/m.html?_trksid=p3692)

Goes by the name Prince. I had actually spoken to him on phone and he lives in Meerut (India). Interestingly when he had quite a few Mughal, presidency and sultanate coins listed, I noticed another interesting pattern. Almost all the coins were clipped.

Note that I am not claiming his coins are fake. I just don't know.

Online Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 04:44:07 AM »
This particular seller is coinbazzar  (https://www.ebay.com/sch/coinbazzar/m.html?_trksid=p3692)

Goes by the name Prince. I had actually spoken to him on phone and he lives in Meerut (India). Interestingly when he had quite a few Mughal, presidency and sultanate coins listed, I noticed another interesting pattern. Almost all the coins were clipped.

Note that I am not claiming his coins are fake. I just don't know.
I believe capnbirdseye's example above was from the same seller.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 10:41:03 AM »
I believe capnbirdseye's example above was from the same seller.

Yes it was,  I spotted a load of his coins on picClick,  described as an and of season sale  :D
Vic