Author Topic: Sri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board token  (Read 332 times)

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Sri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board token
« on: October 21, 2018, 04:27:46 PM »
I recently acquired a couple of small aluminium tokens issued by this shrine board, and was wondering exactly what they were used for.

On Googling the shrine I see that at one point in their visit pilgrims are expected to leave their bags for safekeeing before going through the actual shrine (to ease congestion I assume) to be recovered later. My guess is that these tokens may in some way be the receipts for the bags, normally to be given up when recovering them.

Could anyone tell me if this is so, or are they just in some way souvenirs of a visit to the shrine?

Also, I asume the J&K at the bottom stands for 'Jammu and Kashmir?

1 gm, 20.5 mm

Alan

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Sri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board token
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 10:02:12 PM »
Thanks andyg, that explains it, and also gives an actual picture of the shrine :)

Alan

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 06:50:12 AM »
On Googling the shrine I see that at one point in their visit pilgrims are expected to leave their bags for safekeeing before going through the actual shrine (to ease congestion I assume) to be recovered later. My guess is that these tokens may in some way be the receipts for the bags, normally to be given up when recovering them.
Bags and personal belongings were initially not permitted in temples since may contained leather. Later, when terrorism came to India big time, even non leather bags etc are now not permitted in to most temples.

Also, I asume the J&K at the bottom stands for 'Jammu and Kashmir?
Yes.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 09:35:10 AM »
Earlier, when you visited the shrine, the priest used to give a small coin of 10 or 25 paisa as :KHAZANA: (meaning Treasure), to be kept in your cash locker. But with the demonetisation of the small coins, and also after the management of the shrine was taken over by the Board, now they give an Aluminium token as the Khazana. It is believed that this Token brings you wealth and good luck.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY