News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

New coins to commemorate the armistice

Started by quaziright, October 15, 2018, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaziright

A coloured and non-coloured toonie... looks really beautiful!

chrisild

Images might help in such cases. ;)  Here they are, embedded from the mint's website ...

Christian

quaziright

Bah humbug, without pics, you could have let your imagination run wild ;)

Pabitra

Why do they say "Souvenir"?
Finally all pretensions of being legal tender given up?

quaziright

quaziright

Both of these are circulating coins by the way

Figleaf

Quote from: quaziright on October 16, 2018, 04:41:17 PM
Souvenir means to remember in French

Sort of. If the English would have been "to remember", the correct French would have been se souvenir. If the English was meant as remember ... !, the French should have been souvenez-vous.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

quaziright

Quote from: Figleaf on October 16, 2018, 07:13:04 PM
Sort of. If the English would have been "to remember", the correct French would have been se souvenir. If the English was meant as remember ... !, the French should have been souvenez-vous.

Peter

Well, se souvenir is indeed the infinitive form. It should typically have been souvenez-vous. But then I can't answer why they did that, you'd have to ask the issuing authorities

redlock

Quote from: quaziright on October 16, 2018, 07:38:21 PM
Well, se souvenir is indeed the infinitive form. It should typically have been souvenez-vous. But then I can't answer why they did that, you'd have to ask the issuing authorities

because it's ''canadian french'' (québécois) instead of ''real french?''   ;D ;)

The term ''souvenir'' has been used on the Toonies commemorating WWI and WWII since the start of the series in 2014. If the french speaking population of Canada had had any objections the RCM would surely have changed it by now.

By the way, mintage of the coloured coin is 2.000.000; the non-coloured has a mintage of 1.000.000 according to the RCM press release for the coins.

quaziright

seems they've stopped selling the pack of 5. The roll is an absolute rip-off

redlock

Quote from: quaziright on October 19, 2018, 10:12:11 PM
seems they've stopped selling the pack of 5. The roll is an absolute rip-off

True. But what are you going to do? Hope to find them in circulation? I think chances of that are slim... :(

quaziright

Quote from: redlock on October 20, 2018, 08:48:47 AM
True. But what are you going to do? Hope to find them in circulation? I think chances of that are slim... :(

It depends, I normally do coin roll hunting every other week, I usually find the new commemoratives quickly enough. However, I would have liked to have 25 to swap on Numista. But no point paying $3.2 for every toonie. I can wait to find them in change or perhaps at a discounted rate at a coin show