Author Topic: Denmark: 5 kroner 2016 'medal' vs. 'coin' alignment  (Read 295 times)

Offline Vincent

Denmark: 5 kroner 2016 'medal' vs. 'coin' alignment
« on: October 14, 2018, 01:25:53 PM »
It turns out that the 2016 dated 5 kroner coins occur with both 'medal' alignment and 'coin' alignment.

Two days ago, having noticed that I had some nice and shiny 5 kroner coins in my wallet, I looked through them to see if there was anything that was relevant for my collection. There was no less than three 5 kroner coins of 2016. I also dug out two more 2016 5 kroner coins that I had set aside earlier. When comparing them in order to find the prettiest one for my collection, I realized that two of the coins in my wallet had 'coin' alignment, while the three others had 'medal' alignment. This is a bit of a sensation, because all other Danish coins currently in circulation have medal alignment. In fact, as far as I know, the commemorative 2 kroner coin of 1912 is - until now - the only coin in modern Danish history to have coin alignment.

To be fair, I'm not the first one to notice this variety. Back in August, "jim3000dk" listed a similar coin for sale on QXL.dk (as an error coin) and sold it for 200 DKK. (Here: http://www.qxl.dk/pris/moenter-sedler-medaljer/danske-og-tilknyttede-omrder-mnter/fejlprg-oa-numismatiske-objekter/dansk-5-krone-2016/v/an823245076/). Other than that, I haven't found any mention of this variety.

The new variety cannot be explained by the dies having rotated a little during production, because the rotation is not random - it's exactly 180 degrees. Also, the new variety does not seem to be rare, given that I found two of them in my wallet on the same day, one of them just about uncirculated, the other one showing some signs of circulation.

So, why do we see this odd variety all of a sudden? Note that the year 2016 is a very significant year in the production of Danish coins. It is the last year in which Danish coins were manufactured domestically. Beginning in 2017, Danish coins are minted in Finland. (The new coins of 2017 are flashier than the old ones, btw. - and they have medal alignment). I suspect the coin alignment variety was the Danish mint's final salute - a way of saying 'over-and-out' - before handing over production to the Mint of Finland.

Best regards,
Vincent

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: Denmark: 5 kroner 2016 'medal' vs. 'coin' alignment
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:10:27 PM »
Interesting...

I have yet to find any Danish coins as new as 2016 in change. Last time I was there, three weeks ago (admittedly only transiting through Kastrup) I did make a determined effort to get as many coins in change as possible in the hope of getting new ones and I got nothing newer than 2007 in any denomination and no 5 kroner coins at all.

Perhaps it's time for me to get on the boat and go looking.

Do you know if any other denominations have this variety?

Offline Vincent

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 08:17:08 AM »
I haven't seen or heard of any other denomination with this feature. If I get any information I will post it here.

Your story reminds me of one time I visited Sweden and bought three rolls of 50 öre coins in a bank in order to hunt for dates. I then opened them and discovered that all three rolls had come directly from the mint and all the 50 öre coins were of the same date...

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 09:06:17 AM »
Hunting for dates in Sweden is easy. You can look for 2016. Or 2016. Or occasionally 2016.  ;D

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 09:15:26 AM »
Die rotation by 180° is possible only in older presses. Older presses are used where coins are typically struck in relatively short series. The advantage from a collector's point of view of an older press is that it produces really good unc's, as it is slower than the latest models. With the right pressure, these presses will produce coins that like like mis-handled proofs, with partial frosting.

Your population of five coins is too small for statistical conclusions, but it is an indication that the error is not scarce. As 2016, as you said, was the last year of domestic production, I can easily imagine that workers at the Kopenhagen mint were de-motivated and didn't pay as much attention as usual.

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline redlock

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 07:55:20 PM »
Hunting for dates in Sweden is easy. You can look for 2016. Or 2016. Or occasionally 2016.  ;D

Nevertheless, you should keep an eye on the new 5kr and particularly the new 2kr coins.
Even though, for reason I still cannot understand*,  Riksbank keeps the mintage figures of the new coins a state secret. However, there was an environmental report commissioned by Riksbank. This report (from December 2015) was put on the internet. By accident or on purpose, I don't know. This report contains mintage figures for the new 1, 2 and 5 kr coins.
Riksbank does issue figures on coins (and banknotes) in circulation (yes, Sweden is cashless...still). So doing a little math I can tell you that on 30-Sep-2018:
57,3% of the 1kr coins from the report were in circulation
89,2% of the 2kr coins
79,1% of the 5kr coins

Consequently, there's a good chance you will be seeing other dates in a few weeks or months.  :)

*: Riksbank states ''security reason'' -- give me a break... ::)

And yes, I am fully aware this post is off-topic... ;)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 09:33:28 PM »
Interesting - I will keep a look out, though I use very little cash, and coins even less.

But there is a slight element of doubt in what you post. The report you quote dates from December 2015, but the coins were not actually put into circulation until nearly a year later. I imagine that many (most?) of those cited in the report hadn't actually been minted at that point, and that the figures were a projection. They could therefore have been changed later. There is also the possibility that more have been minted since with a fixed date.