Author Topic: Netherlands 2018: Wageningen University  (Read 273 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Netherlands 2018: Wageningen University
« on: October 12, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
This year Wageningen University celebrates its 100th anniversary - and the Royal Dutch Mint issues a 5 collector coin on that occasion. The piece was designed by Malin Persson, a Swedish artist who lives in Amsterdam.

Somewhat surprisingly, the inscription on the reverse is not in Dutch. Then again, the official name of the institution (Wageningen University & Research) as well as much of the education and research activities are in English. The dominating design element on both sides, a sunflower, combines nature and mathematics in an interesting way: A sunflower is not only an attractive plant but also a natural example of Fibonacci sequences. :)

There will be a base metal version that can be had at face, but also various other versions - silver, gold, colored etc., see here. The ceremonial first strike will be on 2 November, at the Wageningen campus, but the coins can be pre-ordered now.

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Re: Netherlands 2018: Wageningen University
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 07:27:05 PM »
A nice coin, plain and simple. Hopefully this amount of English is a one-off.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »
I have just obtained a few UNC coins in coincard and I am very disappointed. The relief on the reverse is way too plain. The reverse design is hardly visible.  >:(

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 05:02:01 PM »
After a second look at the coin I noticed that the "100 years" in the graphic image above was changed and appears in Dutch on the minted coin (100 jaar). I am glad about that.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 04:24:13 PM »
Makes sense as the 100 yr time span is not part of the institution's name. :) Large image here:

https://knmstorage01.blob.core.windows.net/knmcmsdata/cmsdata/artikelen/fotos/1/0/4/0104019/0104019_main_or_5.jpg

Christian