Author Topic: Errors: 20 paise on Rs 1 planchet  (Read 308 times)

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Errors: 20 paise on Rs 1 planchet
« on: October 10, 2018, 07:13:00 AM »
Errors do happen in mints. Error coins do come in to circulation. Some types of errors are more common than others.

@beekar, @dheer - could you show the full face of error coins quoted by you?
Are they from the same infamous mint?

Offline beekar

• My Blog
Re: Errors: 20 paise on Rs 1 planchet
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:33:26 PM »
@beekar, @dheer - could you show the full face of error coins quoted by you?
Are they from the same infamous mint?
Pabitra, please have a look on the next coin being posted on this topic. This error coin was issued by the Hyderabad mint.

I am going to to show u the photo of one 20 paise coin with Security mark on its edge. The weight of this coin is approximately 6 gms and metal is Cupro-nickel, which indicates that this coin was minted on a 6 gm planchet prepared to mint 1 re CN coins. The security mark on its edge shows that it was minted on a 6 gm planchet on which security marks applied before it was fed to the minting press. Shall we tell that security marks were applied on this coin after it was minted?

Offline Rabi_R

• A survey of Indian coins issued since 1950
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 06:10:21 PM »
A one rupee planchet goes into a 20 paise die by mistake. Agreed. Why should it come out circular and not hexagonal? I don't get it.

Offline Navaneeth

• Numismatics Collections
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 09:38:09 PM »
A one rupee planchet goes into a 20 paise die by mistake. Agreed. Why should it come out circular and not hexagonal? I don't get it.

Due to Corrupt Mint Officials. These are minted error intentionally and its for collectors. These type of coins never reach common man at all even if it is circulated by mistake.

Offline @josephjk

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 10:52:44 PM »

I do not understand how a 1 rupee planchet fit inside a 20 paise hexagonal collar. The planchet looks bigger than the hole, the edges should have bent.
Request BK Kar Sir to please post a picture of the obverse, when you get time...thanks

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 11:08:39 PM »
I do not understand how a 1 rupee planchet fit inside a 20 paise hexagonal collar. The planchet looks bigger than the hole, the edges should have bent.
Request BK Kar Sir to please post a picture of the obverse, when you get time...thanks

The coin which @beekar posted so was minted with the collar off and probably deliberately. These are mint sports but still highly desirable. There is a demand for these and so the supply.

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 04:47:06 AM »
Due to Corrupt Mint Officials.

These are mint sports but still highly desirable.

Matter may not be that simple.

If we remember the first coin beekar posted, we see a one rupee coin being minted on a five rupees planchet.

In this case, we see a twenty paise being minted on a one rupee planchet.

I remember seeing a photo posted by one blogger, of a 5 Naye Paise of 1957 that was minted on a 25 Naye Paise planchet. See the link - https://exclusivecoins.blogspot.com/2011/06/20-independent-india-issues-25-paise.html

What is common in these three cases? In each case, the coin minted and the planchet used has a ratio of 1:5

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »
The ratio is meaningless based on small sample.

There are countless example of Rs 1 on 2 or 50 paise, rs 2 on Rs 1 etc. Quite a few combinations across metal and years
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 09:42:22 AM »
What matters is how much supporting evidence is being provided. Just saying "countless examples " doesn't mean much.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 12:36:04 PM »
You are welcome to do your research and find things.
One rupee on 50 paise and 2 rupee on one rupee is already on this board. Topic 9456.0 and 9300.0

If you read up the auction catalogue, you will find more.

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 02:22:15 PM »
Seen 9456. Question that immediately comes up is, how do i know the planchet is that of a 50 paise? Because the poster says so? In support of what is being said, a photo of the coin placed in a caliper should have been posted.

Did not see the second one.

Offline beekar

• My Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 04:47:22 PM »

Joseph Kunapally ji, sorry to tell that I am unable to comply with your request. All the photos posted on this topic were collected from Internet. None of these coins are present in my collection.
I am going to post the last photo collected by me.
It is the photo of one 2 rs Mudra coin with Security mark on its edge. The weight of this coin is approximately 6 gms, metal is FSS, which indicates that this coin was minted on a 6 gm planchet prepared to mint 5 rs FSS coin. The security mark on its edge shows that it was minted on a 6 gm planchet on which security marks applied before it was fed to the minting press.

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 05:06:20 PM »
Doesn't appear to be a 5 rupees planchet. I shall provide my explanation - Position of the bangles, digit and lettering are usual. I haven't measured rupees 2 and 5 coins right now, but i have verified my 2 rupees mudra coins are kept in size 5 flips ( perfectly fitted) and 5 rupees coins are all in size 4 flips ( once again perfectly fitted).

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 05:24:31 PM »
Seen 9456. Question that immediately comes up is, how do i know the planchet is that of a 50 paise? Because the poster says so? In support of what is being said, a photo of the coin placed in a caliper should have been posted.

Did not see the second one.
It is quite easy. It is not a off-center strike, it's not a chipped planchet. There is clearly missing elements more evidently in 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock position. Hence the planchet is small. It looks like the size of 50 paise. You can physically take a 50 paise coin and rs 1 and experiment.

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 05:42:10 PM »
True.....but the point is......the coin is perfectly round and the edge is razor sharp. A small planchet in a big die is supposed to take the shape of an amoeba.