Author Topic: IE: €15 "Gaelic Athletic Association" 2009  (Read 2322 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
IE: €15 "Gaelic Athletic Association" 2009
« on: October 14, 2009, 12:21:04 AM »
Next month the Irish central bank will issue a €15 collector coin that honors the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) or rather its 125th anniversary. This silver piece, minted in Utrecht AFAIK, will be a proof-only issue, with a mintage of max. 10,000 coins. From the central bank's website: "The GAA is the largest sporting organisation in Ireland with approximately 2,500 clubs and 800,000 members. The games that it promotes, Gaelic football and hurling (as well as handball, rounders, camogie and Ladies’ football) are played across the island and throughout the Diaspora."

Christian

BC Numismatics

Ireland 2009 €15 medal-coin "Gaelic Athletic Association".
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:09:36 AM »
Christian,
  The practice of striking Proof-only medal-coins for Ireland isn't good.

I'm very surprised that no-one in Ireland has lobbied the Central Bank of Ireland to issue Unc. silver 5 Euro coins at face value through the post offices & banks.

If they did that,then they would get more interest in Irish Euro coins from collectors.

Aidan.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
Re: Ireland 2009 €15 medal-coin "Gaelic Athletic Association".
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »
I'm very surprised that no-one in Ireland has lobbied the Central Bank of Ireland to issue Unc. silver 5 Euro coins at face value through the post offices & banks.
If they did that,then they would get more interest in Irish Euro coins from collectors.
Wrong again :(,
European collectors as a whole are very interested in Irish Euro coins. And most of them are preferring Proof quality over circulation quality.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: IE: €15 "Gaelic Athletic Association" 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 03:30:57 PM »
As usual among coin collectors, there will be several different "camps" as far as proof-only issues are concerned. ;) Some will indeed collect proof only, and gladly pay more for a "high quality" product. Others are simply not interested in pieces that can be had only if one is willing to pay a (sometimes hefty) surcharge.

Those pieces do not circulate anyway, with or without such surcharges. But I think that issuing them at face - at least in one "variety" - could make more people aware of the existence of such coins, and maybe even attract new collectors.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 03:37:04 PM »
Whenever I am in Ireland, there seems to be a Gaelic football match or hurling occasion of great importance going on. On the way from Dublin airport to the city, the taxi driver inevitably tells me that we are passing the greatest Gaelic sports stadium in the world and I nod enthusiastically. As I mostly travel around in the company of locals, there's an amusing culture gap between the Irish, who are hopping around with excitement around the radio, where a reporter expresses himself in words that have no meaning to me, and the non-Irish, wondering what it's all about. It's a bit like that with this coin, which means zilch to me and may be very exciting if you are Irish.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 04:56:37 PM »
To those unfamiliar with Irish sports:
Shown next to the crest of the association is a figurative representation of Ireland's oldest field sport, hurling.
The design of this coin is by Michael Guilfoyle. The date of issue will be 3 November 2009. 
(Information taken from the folder received from Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland).
And no, I will not buy this coin as it doesn't fit within any of my collections.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Ireland 2009 €15 medal-coin "Gaelic Athletic Association".
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 11:20:15 PM »
If the Central Bank of Ireland started issuing silver 5,10,& 15 Euro coins at face value like in countries such as France,Germany,Portugal,& Spain do,then they would get a lot of interest from collectors,not only within the E.U.,but also overseas as well.

France and Spain only make certain (relatively few) issues available at face. And Portugal, as well as as the Netherlands, stopped issuing silver at face but will at least issue a base metal version that can be had at face value. That could be a model for the Irish central bank too. Will they do it? Frankly I doubt that ...

And yes, at least in the Euro Area, France is the only country that issues gold coins at face. Nice because you will always get at least the face value if you want to spend/sell it. But as long as the gold price does not collapse, there are better offers in terms of how much gold you get for your money ...

Christian