Author Topic: Stade Nautique token  (Read 293 times)

Offline Henk

Stade Nautique token
« on: October 06, 2018, 08:23:18 PM »
I have this, probably French, token for a Stade Nautique (swimming pool) It is brass, diameter 24 mm with the central area "pushed out"

Where was this token used, it states B.D., and for what purpose?

Suggestions welcome!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Stade Nautique token
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 09:31:17 PM »
Undoubtedly from a francophone country. Stade implies more than a swimming pool: suitable for sports events. That probably refers to regulations on the length of the pool and perhaps the height and length of diving boards. My best guess is that B D stands for Bain Douche (Bath Shower). Keep in mind that in former times, local governments would offer the use of swimming pool showers for free or at subsidised prices to people in the neighbourhood living in appartments or houses not equipped with a bath or shower.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Stade Nautique token
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 12:20:43 AM »
I support Peterīs idea.

I remember when i was young i used to swim at least 1000 m in a local open air swimming pool at each summer evening. The standard for the all-inclusive showers was ambient temperature.
On cold and rainy days my only motivation was a small brass token for the gas boiler for an additional fee of 0.5 Deutschmarks.
So after swimming i was able to relax and warm up my cold body for 3-4 minutes in a hot shower.

:)