Author Topic: Gupta Empire: Chandragupta-II, Copper......Chakra-Garuda type, XF & Xrare!!  (Read 109 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Gupta Empire, Chandragupta-II, 380-415 AD, Copper, 0.71g

Obv: Chakra above a line with legend "Chandra" below in brahmi script

Rev: Garuda with a human face sitting on a branch with legend "Gupta" below in brahmi script

Natural green patina on the coin with a lovely rendition of both the Chakra and the Garuda with outstretched wings!

Ref: Pl see the 2 coins featured at the bottom of Pg 282 in the book "Treasures of the Gupta Empire" by Sanjeev Kumar for similar type, pic attached, though I feel my specimen is better >:D

Sanjeev Kumar in a Facebook comment stated "Very rare coin Mitresh. Probably no more than 8-10 pcs recorded.. !! Good addition to your collection."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:28:00 AM by mitresh »
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Saikat

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
Wow! Never seen Chandragupta coin in copper! And the text are very easily readable even to a novice like me.
Congratulations.
Saikat

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Congratulations Mitresh, that's a very nice aquisition !
I have not been focussing very much on the Guptas lately unfortunately. Here in western Europe one frequently encounters the gold issues in auctions. Lead and especially copper specimen very rarely surface.
To keep your bird company here a more common lead companion.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Wow! Never seen Chandragupta coin in copper! And the text are very easily readable even to a novice like me.
Congratulations.
Saikat

Thanks Saikat! All Gupta coppers are pretty rare but this particular type even more as Sanjeev "Shivlee" Gupta mentioned with only 8-10 pieces known to exist.

Congratulations Mitresh, that's a very nice aquisition !
I have not been focussing very much on the Guptas lately unfortunately. Here in western Europe one frequently encounters the gold issues in auctions. Lead and especially copper specimen very rarely surface.
To keep your bird company here a more common lead companion.

Yes Anthony, you are right. It is more common to find Gupta gold / lead than copper that is pretty rare, with the exception of tiny copper coins of Ramagupta that turn up frequently in Saurashtra region.

Here are my two lead 'birdies' to make a 'three-some' with yours!!
Coin 1: 4.55g, 18mm
Coin 2: 3.39g, 15mm

Obv: Within dotted border, Garuda with outstretched wings

Rev: Within dotted border, legend in 4 brahmi characters "Sri / Vi / kra / ma" (Sri Vikrama) meaning "Most Brave/Valourous"

The Garuda's standing pose on the coin reminds me of Bodybuilders flexing their muscles (biceps)!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 06:05:25 AM by mitresh »
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.