Author Topic: Discussion: History and mystery of the 1955(B) Two Annas  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: History and mystery of the 1955(B) Two Annas
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 08:58:14 PM »
Is there a 1955 One Anna? It will be helpful if you care to share with me some detail, if possible, with source.

I don't know if there is. My Indian coins were stolen a few years back. I probably had 1954 anyway. I do know it is listed. Here are two examples. I scanned the price quotes also, for laughs. The first scan is from KM, 20th century, 36th edition (2009). The second scan is from British Commonwealth coins by Jerôme Remick, Somer James, Anthony Dowle and Patrick Finn, 3rd edition (Winnipeg 1971).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 09:33:52 PM »
Thank you very much sir, i am obliged. I didn't even know the second book exists.
In their 2014 edition, KM seems to have deleted the entry for 1955 One Anna.

Edit: Makes me wonder how just a 60 years old coin having a mintage of 5 millions can become rare and command a price between 200-500 $.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 10:05:59 PM »
It could have sat there not used until it got remelted/recycled. The only few that went into circulation maybe went out the backdoor.
Speculation only...it appears that nothing is known.
Interesting situation anyway.

Dale

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 11:12:25 PM »
Thank you very much sir, i am obliged. I didn't even know the second book exists.

Yes, very correctly since we do not know of any such coin.

Edit: Makes me wonder how just a 60 years old coin having a mintage of 5 millions can become rare and command a price between 200-500 $.

How can we be so sure of the 5 million mintage figure? Even if true it all depends on the survival rate. How many of these have you seen? In MS grades these can go for $1000-2000 and I have not seen more than a handful. I have seen a few in lower grades but not in abundant quantities. It is indeed a rare coin. I had heard rumors of some hoard found in Kolkata and have to ask the city collectors if this is true. This very well can be true since we have seen hoards come out of formerly rare British India coins too.

@Figleaf might have given the best answer to your initial query though.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 03:34:32 AM »

Mintage figure for India coins is not to be believed. They are indirectly derived based on the RBI report on coins in circulation.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 07:23:14 AM »
Mintage figure for India coins is not to be believed. They are indirectly derived based on the RBI report on coins in circulation.

What is this supposed to mean? RBI report on circulation coins is not to be believed?

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 07:49:31 AM »
What is this supposed to mean? RBI report on circulation coins is not to be believed?

There is a difference between coins in circulation and a particular dated coin minted. RBI might say 5m 2 Anna coins in circulation in 1955 and does not mean these were 5m 1955 2A coins minted. It can mean 4.95m 1954 coins and the balance 1955 (hypothetical only!).

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 08:00:38 AM »
I see. Publishers of these world level books and catalogs are so stupid they don't understand these basic facts.

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 08:14:27 AM »
I see. Publishers of these world level books and catalogs are so stupid they don't understand these basic facts.

You are only looking at one country, but the editors have to look at the rest of the world where standards differ. They do not have the resources for this. Many times it is the contributors who make the mistake. What the UK might have for reported mintage might not be the same for India! You can suggest changes with proof and they will incorporate the same. Please search the boards and will find it.

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2018, 08:29:41 AM »
If that is the case, these catalogs are no different from Wiki and should therefore be free.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2018, 09:04:36 AM »
There is a difference between coins in circulation and a particular dated coin minted. RBI might say 5m 2 Anna coins in circulation in 1955 and does not mean these were 5m 1955 2A coins minted. It can mean 4.95m 1954 coins and the balance 1955 (hypothetical only!).

Yes that is correct. Mint don't keep the records or share the records. There are several RTI filed on some of the specific issues with out any response from the mint.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2018, 10:49:10 AM »
SCWC 2018 and 2019 editions do show a change in price.
WMK 2018-19 clearly indicates that 1955 mintage is included in 1954 figures.
Incidentally, it also shows 1955 2A image.
Gunter seems to have left good collection to Gerhard ;D

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2018, 09:02:16 PM »
If that is the case, these catalogs are no different from Wiki and should therefore be free.

:) :) :) If we make you the editor of the catalog, supply you with all the information which you need to cross check and verify, ask you to raise a team for gathering such information from different parts of the world and then publish it hard copy as well digital, host it on a website at your cost while looking at getting advertising revenue, I bet my 1955 2 annas that you won't do it for free.  :) :) :)

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2018, 09:15:41 PM »
I think after what has been uploaded above, this thread does not deserve any more useless comment. That will be a disrespect for the hard and analytical work that has been done.