Author Topic: Liechtenstein 5 kronen 1910  (Read 127 times)

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
Liechtenstein 5 kronen 1910
« on: October 03, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »
My first coin from Liechtenstein - I think I picked a nice one. KM#Y4.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Liechtenstein 5 kronen 1910
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 11:41:34 PM »
I agree. A very nice specimen. I passed through Liechtenstein decades ago, hoping to pick up a coin. They had them, but they were not only above budget, but also more expensive than elsewhere.

Perhaps the most fun part of the coin is the order of the golden fleece, draped around the arms. As a member of the Austrian branch, the order could be inherited. The order was bestowed on Karl I of Liechtenstein in 1614 after the battle of White Mountain, where Karl had had the good taste to support emperor Mathias. The order was a sign of imperial approval that amounted to a license to plunder Bohemia, which Karl did with abandon.

Since the house of Liechtenstein has the rank of knight with collar and is still landed, it probably at present ranks second in the order of the golden fleece, after the king of Belgium. This tell you less about the importance of the house of Liechtenstein and more about the importance of chivalrous orders ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 05:37:34 PM »
What I find interesting about the coins from Liechtenstein especially in those years: When the Austrian-Hungarian Empire fell apart after WW1, Liechtenstein left the economic union with Austria and got closer to the Western neighbor. Customs union as from 1920, currency agreement four years later. So in 1924 Liechtenstein issued its first Franken coins, but left the designs unchanged: The only difference is that the "KR" that you see on your coin became an "FR". :)

Christian

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 12:03:36 AM »
Thank you both, always nice to get a little extra information. :)