Author Topic: Help for classification of a copper coin (Khanate of Bukhara?)  (Read 367 times)

Offline AndP36

Help for classification of a copper coin (Khanate of Bukhara?)
« on: October 01, 2018, 11:16:08 PM »
Hi collectors :),
I found this coin, I think that it's a 1/32 tenga from Bukhara: it has a diameter of mm. 14,60 and a weight of gr. 2,55.
How should I classify it, as KM#86 or as KM#A63? I'm just able to see a number that could be a 3 on obverse ???
Thanks in advance to anyone who will bring his opinion in my topic ;)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Help for classification of a copper coin (Khanate of Bukhara?)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 10:51:24 AM »
The reverse reads as falus bukhara with what appears to be a 3 at the bottom of the reverse (which is where the date appears). On the Obverse in the top circle appears 2 numerals which I guess is the regnal year.
 I posted one of these 4 years ago and there is a bit more info on the thread here
Vic

Offline AndP36

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:35:53 AM »
The reverse reads as falus bukhara with what appears to be a 3 at the bottom of the reverse (which is where the date appears). On the Obverse in the top circle appears 2 numerals which I guess is the regnal year.
 I posted one of these 4 years ago and there is a bit more info on the thread here

Hi capnbirdseye :),
thanks for your kind reply.
I think that the numbers in circle on obverse indicate the value of coin (1/32 falus), though.
Do you guess that the sign on the right of the number 3 on reverse could be a 0?
In that case, the date should be 1330 (so we can classify it as KM#A63), but I'm not sure of my reasoning ::)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 12:07:00 PM »
The question bubbles down to who is the ruler?

Being an alternative thinker, my question is, is it just the date on the coin that separates KM A63 from KM 86? If so, I'd suggest the two are the same type.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline AndP36

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 12:20:02 PM »
The question bubbles down to who is the ruler?

Being an alternative thinker, my question is, is it just the date on the coin that separates KM A63 from KM 86? If so, I'd suggest the two are the same type.

Peter

Definitely it's the same thing that I was also considering Peter: there is any stylistic difference between those two references or the date is the only dissimilarity?
In all likelihood, you're right 8)

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 08:53:07 PM »
Obv.  fulus-i Bukhara
Rev. numerals 32 within ornate cartouche

Peter is spot on - these two types are separated because they are from different rulers, but as they do not contain the rulers name the only way to tell them apart is from the date.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....