Author Topic: New Commemorative: Guru Nanak Dev  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: New Commemorative: Guru Nanak Dev
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 05:06:01 AM »
I am bit confused as no proper clarity as well as no gazette notification.

These so called commemorative gold and silver coins (tokens) were made by SGPC (Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee) and released through Ex-PM Manmohan Singh.
If there is no gazette notification, then they are not coins.
They will not indicate any denomination.
Between Finance ministry committee approving a coin to gazette notification, there is quite a long gap.
The ministry tell RBI the topic and denomination and RBI assigns it to SPMCIL.
SPMCIL nominates a coordinating mint who makes design proposals.
Only on approval of a design by the committee, is the gazette notification issued which indicates the approved design.
The the minting of release and VIP sets starts.
Minting of circulation coins starts after the release function for specific denomination.

For Guru Nanak Dev, it appears that only 550 Rupees denomination has been approved so no circulation coin.

Where, in the photograph, did you see ex-PM Mr Manmohan Singh?
It is primarily not even a Punjab State government function and you can see Governor of Punjab as chief guest. Others are prominent Sikh leaders like Sukhbir Badal, Hardeep Singh Puri etc. You can see Mahesh Sharma, central minister for Culture on the left.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2018, 05:23:25 AM »
The so called media says as commemorative coin even for Waltair Railway Division!
This is the design of Waltair Railway Division.
Not a coin by usual definition but a token or a medal.
However, internationally, any stamped piece of metal can be called a coin.
Search eBay for coins and you see huge number of painted medals, odd shaped art pieces, distorted and elongated metallic blobs etc. being called coins. The worst are US Army challenge coins which have paragraphs written about them.

These tokens find them in news only on the day of release since a function is usually held and all type of freelancers journalists are invited. They come there for free lunch and in hope of a gift. Without even iota of understanding, they take a copy of the press release, given by the organisers and pass it on to the subeditors of all the local and national papers to which they are attached. More serious of them will add images and some additional information.

Going through the layers of sub editor, editor, senior editor, chief editor and editor in chief, the filed report gets either padded up or trimmed down. Depending on news received from News agencies, some times such news do find itself accomodated in the day's issue. The freelancer gets paid by column centimetres and his/ her day is made.😃 That is the whole story.

Offline Navaneeth

• Numismatics Collections
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2018, 05:44:53 AM »
For Guru Nanak Dev, it appears that only 550 Rupees denomination has been approved so no circulation coin.
This seems doubtful.

Where, in the photograph, did you see ex-PM Mr Manmohan Singh?
I saw them on some pic at fb group. Need to check on it.

These tokens find them in news only on the day of release since a function is usually held and all type of freelancers journalists are invited. They come there for free lunch and in hope of a gift. Without even iota of understanding, they take a copy of the press release, given by the organisers

I totally agree on this. I have seen these journalists literally sleeping in press conferences. They just come for free lunch at star hotels.

Search eBay for coins and you see huge number of painted medals, odd shaped art pieces, distorted and elongated metallic blobs etc. being called coins.
I'm a ex-ebay guy and later became a ebay seller for more than 12 years.

Offline jnite

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2018, 07:27:06 AM »

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2018, 06:07:50 AM »
This seems doubtful.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for the Guru Nanak Dev coins.

However in case Guru Nanak Dev coins finally gets approved, it is likely that there will be no circulation coins.

GoI may be leaning towards the idea of not releasing circulating versions of commemorative coins. In extreme case, they may stop issuing small denomination commemorative coins (proof, unc and circulative versions) altogether. Lets hope I am wrong.

Offline Navaneeth

• Numismatics Collections
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2018, 06:11:41 AM »
I am keeping my fingers crossed for the Guru Nanak Dev coins.

However in case Guru Nanak Dev coins finally gets approved, it is likely that there will be no circulation coins.

GoI may be leaning towards the idea of not releasing circulating versions of commemorative coins. In extreme case, they may stop issuing small denomination commemorative coins (proof, unc and circulative versions) altogether. Lets hope I am wrong.

Wish you're wrong Kansal ji.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2019, 05:44:03 AM »
It seems, another organisation ( in Delhi) also plans to issue some coins

New Gold coin to be released on this date - All you need to know | Zee Business

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2019, 11:28:11 AM »
That's not a coin. It's a gold bar for retail investors (defined as small capital guys whose money is routinely taken by pro investors).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2019, 05:50:57 AM »
Yes but being associated with religious motif, it becomes a more profitable business for issuing authorities.
I agree that it should not be called a coin since it does not indicate any denomination.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member

Offline Patney

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2019, 09:52:34 AM »
Copy of Gazeete Notification of Coin