Author Topic: Russian Empire: Peter The Great (1682-1725 AD), AR Wire Kopek, 1702 AD, Moscow  (Read 140 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Russian Empire: Peter I Alekseevich (Peter The Great) (1682-1725 AD), AR Wire Kopek, 1702 AD, Moscow mint

Obverse: Crowned horseman carrying a spear with a pointed tip, date mark "АШВ" (1702) under the galloping horse, dotted circular line
Reverse: (ЦРЬИBE) / (Л)ИКIИ(KHЯ) / ЗЬПЕТ(РЬЯ) / ЛЕЗIЕ(ВИЧЬ) / ВC(EЯРω / ССIИ) (Tsar and Grand Prince Peter Alekseevich of Entire Russia)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Congratulations on deciphering one of these coins. My son's in-laws, whose first language is Russian came no further than "old Russian". Which source did you use to identify the coin?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
I have a very nice catalog on Russian Wire Coins by Dzmitry Huletski. Though it does not cover the coinage of Peter the Great, the basics of reading these coins are explained sufficiently well.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Here's a reference in Russian:

Каталог русских средневековых монет со времени правления Ивана Васильевича и до шведской оккупации Новгорода, Гришин И.В., Клещинов В.Н.
Catalog of the Russian Medieval Coins from the Time of the Reign of Tsar Ivan IV Vasilievich Until the Swedish Occupation of Novgorod 1533-1617, by I.V. Grishin and V. N. Kleshchinov.

It used to be online. No more. Perhaps Pellinore may be able to obtain a copy.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.