News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Discussion: 1997 Proof Set - Inter Parliamentary Union Conference, Men and Women Partnership

Started by Abhay, September 24, 2018, 10:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

The set is listed on Todywalla Auctions - Auction # 119 Lot 414. The estimated price is Rs. 13.00 - 16.00 Lakh.

1997 Proof Set, Inter Parliamentary Union Conference, Men and Women Partnership in Politics, set of 3, Rupees 5, 50 and 100, rev. the Indian parliament at top, followed by the logo of the Inter-Parliamentary Union intertwined with the symbols of a woman (a circle with a small cross below) and man (a circle with an arrow pointing northeast) and date 1997 below. Followed by two dots as mint mark below the date (Standard Guide to Coins of India - Rajgor, Sharma and Agarwal, RB 200). In immaculate condition, within case of issue, Extremely Rare. Held just weeks before the 1997 session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women, the Specialized Inter-Parliamentary Conference on the theme "Towards Partnership between Men and Women in Politics" was organized by the Inter-Parliamentary Union in New Delhi from 14 to 18 February 1997 on the invitation of the Parliament of India. The President of India, Dr. Shanker Dayal Sharma had inaugurated the Conference which was the first worldwide political meeting on the follow-up to the Fourth World Conference on Women held in Beijing in September 1995. As a tribute to the Conference, the Indian Government released a special stamp as well as coins embodying the concept of "partnership" in the symbol of a man and woman. The coins and stamp have become part of the collection of the National Museum of India (New Delhi). The above information is available on the website of the Inter-Parliamentary Union. This set was distributed only to the dignitaries attending the conference and wasn't issued to the public at large.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

This is the 4th set which has come to light.

The first set was auctioned by Baldwin at Hong Kong Auction for USD 5000.00 sometime in 2010.

The second set was sold on Ebay for USD 4995.00 by seller "ynsingh" on 25th May 2011.

The third set was also sold on Ebay for USD 4995.99 by seller "Cranko" 23rd Dec 2011.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

dheer

If unconfirmed rumors to be believed, there are only 8 or 10 sets issued.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Rabi_R

These coins are not listed in Krause-Mishler catalog. As far as my knowledge goes, KM does not list any piece of metal unless it has been officially issued as a coin.  :-X

Abhay

Quote from: Rabi_R on September 24, 2018, 03:12:24 PM
These coins are not listed in Krause-Mishler catalog. As far as my knowledge goes, KM does not list any piece of metal unless it has been officially issued as a coin.  :-X

What can be more official than the Paper laid on the Table of the Rajya Sabha on 4th March 1997, authorising the issue of these coins??

"A copy (in English and Hindi) of the Ministry of Finance (Department of Economic Affairs) Notification G.S.R. No. 73(E) dated the 14th February, 1997 publishing the Coinage (Standard Weight and Remedy of Commemorative Coins of the One Hundred Rupees (containing Silver 50 per cent., Copper 40 per cent., Nickel 5 per cent. and Zinc 5 per cent), Fifty Rupees and Five rupees (containing Copper 75 per cent., and Nickel 25 per cent.) coined on the occasion of the Inter Parliamentary Conference on "Men and Women Partner ship in Politics", Roles 1997 under sub section (3) of Section 21 of the coinage Act, 1906.

(Kindly see the attachment)

Abhay

INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

Quote from: dheer on September 24, 2018, 01:19:50 PM
If unconfirmed rumors to be believed, there are only 8 or 10 sets issued.

This conference was attended by 121 men and 119 women. If the coin set was given to all the delegates, then the number should be 240. However, this cannot be confirmed.

Excerpts from the President's speech:

"The Inter-Parliamentary Union and the Indian Parliament encouraged the formation of parity delegations. I am particularly proud to note that the 78 national delegations which participated in the Conference were composed of 121 men and 119 women. Never before to my knowledge has an international meeting achieved such a degree of parity, never before has a conference on a topic concerning women allowed such a dialogue between equals, not only in rights but also in numbers. As Speaker of a Parliament, I can only hope that all our Parliaments and our international meetings will, like this one, increasingly come to resemble our societies and take on a parity nature."

Abhay

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Rabi_R

Quote from: Abhay on September 24, 2018, 03:34:20 PM
What can be more official than the Paper laid on the Table of the Rajya Sabha on 4th March 1997, authorising the issue of these coins??

"A copy (in English and Hindi) of the Ministry of Finance (Department of Economic Affairs) Notification G.S.R. No. 73(E) dated the 14th February, 1997 publishing the Coinage (Standard Weight and Remedy of Commemorative Coins of the One Hundred Rupees (containing Silver 50 per cent., Copper 40 per cent., Nickel 5 per cent. and Zinc 5 per cent), Fifty Rupees and Five rupees (containing Copper 75 per cent., and Nickel 25 per cent.) coined on the occasion of the Inter Parliamentary Conference on "Men and Women Partner ship in Politics", Roles 1997 under sub section (3) of Section 21 of the coinage Act, 1906.

(Kindly see the attachment)

Abhay

Please notice the discrepancy in date. As per your opening post, the Inter Parliamentary Union was held from 14th to 18th February 1997. So the delegates have been handed over the coins ( souvenirs) by the 2nd week of February. And as per the pdf uploaded by you, on 4th of March, the FM notification was laid before Parliament, after the souvenirs have been distributed to the delegates.

Abhay

Just note that the date of relevant notification is 14th Feb 1997 only. It is only on 4th March that the papers were presented in the Rajya Sabha.
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Rabi_R

Quote from: Abhay on September 24, 2018, 05:05:53 PM
Just note that the date of relevant notification is 14th Feb 1997 only. It is only on 4th March that the papers were presented in the Rajya Sabha.

Which once again proves the notification was placed before Rajya Sabha for post facto approval. As numismatists, we should by now understand why KM does not list these coins.

dheer

Quote from: Rabi_R on September 24, 2018, 06:05:12 PM
Which once again proves the notification was placed before Rajya Sabha for post facto approval. As numismatists, we should by now understand why KM does not list these coins.

Issue of coins do not need the approval of Rajya sabha or Loksabha. Quite a few documents are tabled in parliament. Some are for informational purposes only.

Rabi_R

Quote from: dheer on September 27, 2018, 01:15:13 PM
Issue of coins do not need the approval of Rajya sabha or Loksabha. Quite a few documents are tabled in parliament. Some are for informational purposes only.

I guess this response is with reference to my usage of "post facto approval". Approval apart, even the timing of placement of documents is wrong. Secondly, what i didn't tell earlier, the FM notification is dated  14th of February. So when were the coins minted ? The coins were minted within a day at Mumbai and distributed to delegates at Delhi the next day? That couldn't have happened. The coins were minted at least three months ago. Who minted the coins? Under whose order?
I agree with what some people say, these coins were minted at a private mint somewhere else.

dheer

I don't think that date is a valid argument. There are issues even in recent past where notification, release and distribution happened the same day.

There are some coins that are mystery and may continue to be so...

Rabi_R

Quote from: dheer on September 27, 2018, 07:22:53 PM
There are issues even in recent past where notification, release and distribution happened the same day.

I agree. The point is, this particular coin has not been released.