News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Discussion: 1997 Proof Set - Inter Parliamentary Union Conference, Men and Women Partnership

Started by Abhay, September 24, 2018, 10:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

Quote from: Rabi_R on September 27, 2018, 01:37:36 PM
I guess this response is with reference to my usage of "post facto approval". Approval apart, even the timing of placement of documents is wrong. Secondly, what i didn't tell earlier, the FM notification is dated  14th of February. So when were the coins minted ? The coins were minted within a day at Mumbai and distributed to delegates at Delhi the next day? That couldn't have happened. The coins were minted at least three months ago. Who minted the coins? Under whose order?
I agree with what some people say, these coins were minted at a private mint somewhere else.

The outer cover clearly shows that the coins were minted by Mumbai Mint.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Rabi_R

Navaneeth

Quote from: Abhay on September 28, 2018, 07:25:19 AM
The outer cover clearly shows that the coins were minted by Mumbai Mint.
Abhay

These sets were distributed to few dignitaries who were present at the conference and be packed by Mumbai Mint. It doesn't matter if it was struck by Mumbai or any other mints.

kansal888

Quote from: Rabi_R on September 24, 2018, 04:05:48 PM
Please notice the discrepancy in date. As per your opening post, the Inter Parliamentary Union was held from 14th to 18th February 1997. So the delegates have been handed over the coins ( souvenirs) by the 2nd week of February. And as per the pdf uploaded by you, on 4th of March, the FM notification was laid before Parliament, after the souvenirs have been distributed to the delegates.

No discrepancy. All such notifications are laid on the table of parliament much after they are issued. Sometimes the gap could be 3-4 months

kansal888

Quote from: Abhay on September 24, 2018, 10:51:35 AM
This is the 4th set which has come to light.

The first set was auctioned by Baldwin at Hong Kong Auction for USD 5000.00 sometime in 2010.

The second set was sold on Ebay for USD 4995.00 by seller "ynsingh" on 25th May 2011.

The third set was also sold on Ebay for USD 4995.99 by seller "Cranko" 23rd Dec 2011.

Abhay

Dear Abhay Ji

To the best of my knowledge, more than 100 such sets were made. These were distributed to all the foreign delegates. However, all delegates went back to their respective countries. So these sets surface very rarely. Mintage wise the 1993 Parliamentary Union Conference set has the lowest number. If my memory is correct, the mintage of 1993 set is in single digit.

Regards

Sanjay Kansal

Rabi_R

Quote from: kansal888 on September 28, 2018, 08:51:14 AM
No discrepancy. All such notifications are laid on the table of parliament much after they are issued. Sometimes the gap could be 3-4 months
Right. But for no such notification, coins are actually distributed before being laid on the table of Parliament.

Rabi_R

I don't know if uploading photos of postage stamps are allowed in this forum -  my post may please be deleted if i am violating any rule. I thought this might be of interest. Below is the postage stamp issued on the same occasion under discussion -

This stamp is listed in all standard catalogs - Stanley Gibbons, Scott and Phila India

repindia

Quote from: Abhay on September 24, 2018, 10:51:35 AM
This is the 4th set which has come to light.

The first set was auctioned by Baldwin at Hong Kong Auction for USD 5000.00 sometime in 2010.

The second set was sold on Ebay for USD 4995.00 by seller "ynsingh" on 25th May 2011.

The third set was also sold on Ebay for USD 4995.99 by seller "Cranko" 23rd Dec 2011.

Abhay

Were these the 1993 ones or 1997? I think those were all 1993 but my memory can be faulty.

kansal888

Quote from: Rabi_R on September 28, 2018, 11:03:19 AM
Right. But for no such notification, coins are actually distributed before being laid on the table of Parliament.

Sorry Rabi

Many coins were distributed in past before the notification was laid on the table of Parliament.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Rabi_R

Quote from: kansal888 on September 30, 2018, 06:22:04 AM
Sorry Rabi

Many coins were distributed in past before the notification was laid on the table of Parliament.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Can you mention one or two, i want to do some independent research to the extent i am capable of doing. The caveat being, those coins have to be unreleased. If those coins have been officially released, rest doesn't matter.

kansal888

Dear Rabi

I am talking about coins which were officially unveiled by VIPs and then limited number was put in circulation without the Gazette being laid on table of house.

There are few examples:

(a) Mysore University
(b) 1965 India Pakistan War

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Rabi_R

My preliminary finding suggests some one with a name similar to yours was involved in the issue of "UNIVERSITY OF MYSORE CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS". May i know with whom i am talking?

Navaneeth

Quote from: Rabi_R on September 30, 2018, 08:14:38 AM
My preliminary finding suggests some one with a name similar to yours was involved in the issue of "UNIVERSITY OF MYSORE CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS". May i know with whom i am talking?

Sanjay Kansal ji is a very known and knowledgeable numismatist :).

Abhay

Quote from: repindia on September 30, 2018, 01:07:04 AM
Were these the 1993 ones or 1997? I think those were all 1993 but my memory can be faulty.

These are 1997 sets.

Quote from: kansal888 on September 28, 2018, 08:58:17 AM

Dear Abhay Ji

To the best of my knowledge, more than 100 such sets were made. These were distributed to all the foreign delegates. However, all delegates went back to their respective countries. So these sets surface very rarely. Mintage wise the 1993 Parliamentary Union Conference set has the lowest number. If my memory is correct, the mintage of 1993 set is in single digit.

Regards

Sanjay Kansal

I agree. I have already said above that about 121 Men and 119 Women attended this conference, so the number of sets minted should be atleast 240. But no official record is available.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Rabi_R

Quote from: Navaneeth on September 30, 2018, 08:30:53 AM
Sanjay Kansal ji is a very known and knowledgeable numismatist :).
Let the question be answered by the person addressed.