Post Mauryas: Sunga Empire, 200 BC, UCCC......huge casting join still attached!!

Started by mitresh, September 23, 2018, 08:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitresh

Post Maurya's, Sunga Empire, 200 BC, Universal Cast Copper Coin (UCCC), 3.41g

Obv: 3-arch hill, Tree-in-rail, hollow cross

Rev: Elephant, Indra-dhwaja (Triangle headed standard), Swastika, Taurine (inverted)

The coin depicts a prominent casting 'join', almost like an ice-cream stick with which to hold the coin and wave it around!!

Separate clay moulds were prepared, each for Obv / Rev with engraved impressions of the symbols, and the Obv/Rev moulds laid on top of each other, with other similar moulds laid horizontally or vertically for economics of production volume (more qty could be produced by casting technique quickly).

The moulds were joined together by 'runners' acting as conduit for the molten copper to flow between each mould when poured. When the metal cooled assuming the shape of the impressions of the mould, it was broken open and the coin retrieved with clippers used to detach the 'joins' closer to the coins edge so that the join either doesn't show or only a minor bump remains at the joining edge. However, sometimes perhaps to immediately retract the coin for its circulation or transportation, the clipping would be done at the middle or fag end of the join implying evidence for such join would remain, as in this specimen.

To see a clear specimen of the same type but without the join, refer my previous post here
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Figleaf

I got the three-arched stupa and the elephant. Seeing that two of these coins would fit on your finger top, I think I deserve a prize, but I'll share it with the die sinker :)

The spruce is undoubtedly an added attraction. It makes the coin an even better show and tell piece. TFS.

Not sure what U as in universal means, though I can easily imagine Martians paying each other with this coin ;) My first though was "generic", but I would have expected a generic coin to be simple and have two symbols or so, not seven.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

drnsreedhar

Dr.Sreedhar

mitresh

Quote from: drnsreedhar on September 30, 2018, 02:38:28 PM
A real ancient beauty Mitresh. Thanks for showing it.

Thanks.

Quote from: Figleaf on September 30, 2018, 01:48:28 PM
Not sure what U as in universal means.......

Universal in the context of this particular cast copper means the coin type is found widely scattered across a vast area and not limited to a particular area, locality, region etc. It indicates its widespread popularity, similar to Mauryan silver karshapanas, found across the length and breadth of India. Such issues are hence termed universal to separate them from purely 'local' cast copper coins found only in a specific area or region, Kaushambi being a prime example for such local cast coppers.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Finn235

Really fascinating specimen, although I am a little surprised that the sprue would be so long? I assumed that these would have been cast in long strings in a tree shape, or is this one at the bottom of one such tree?