Author Topic: Seleukos I Nicator (305-281 BC), AE18, Antioch mint, Lindgren 1751, Sear 6852  (Read 247 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Seleukos I Nicator (305-281 BC), AE18, Antioch mint, Lindgren 1751, BMC 62, Sear 6852, SC 21 (6.6 g)

This representation of Medusa is not the more usual frightening apotropaic type. It may have been copied from the original of the so-called Medusa Rondanini.

E.T. Newell, author of "The Coinage of Demetrius Poliorcetes" (London, 1927), wrote: "The bull on the reverse is an allusion to a story about Seleukos' prowess related to us in Appian: He (Seleukos) was of such a large and powerful frame that once when a wild bull was brought for sacrifice to Alexander and broke loose from his ropes, Seleukos held him alone, with nothing but his bare hands, for which reason his statues are ornamented with horns."

Obverse: Winged head of Medusa right, snakes flowing behind
Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ (Σ)EΛEYK(OY), bull butting right

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Thanks for showing !
I had seen this type before, never realized though that the winged head had snakes attatched and personifies Medusa.
Goes to show that a short text explanation can profoundly change the way in which we see things, while the picture stays the same.