Author Topic: Beautiful Brockage  (Read 178 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Beautiful Brockage
« on: September 30, 2018, 09:58:33 AM »
This is an excellent brockage, a beautiful coin. It's a silvered antoninianus of the emperor Probus (276-282), but only the obverse was struck. Of the reverse, the silvering inside the deep profile of the emperor was left whereas most of the higher parts are darker grey. I was not the only one seeing the beauty of the result, for I had to go far on the auction where I bought it.

I suppose obvious brockages did not stay long in the regular money circulation, they probably were kept as trinkets, in any case getting some special treatment soon after being discovered. Misstruck coins become medals. My brockage coins are in excellent condition. I wonder if they were ever holed or mounted for jewellery.

Ancient brockages must have been subject of special numismatic articles - but I haven't seen any. How often a brockage did occur in the various (say, Roman) periods of minting? Questions, questions.

23 mm, 3.45 gr.

-- Paul

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Beautiful Brockage
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 10:45:40 AM »
A good one  8), ancient brockages do appear to be harder to find, I have a couple of Ayyibid ones but not as attractive as your Roman one
Vic

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 12:03:55 PM »
I also have a couple of these mint accidents, but none as nice as this one !
Makes you wonder whether it would not have been a better idea to mint more coins with an incuse design to protect them against wear.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 12:21:04 PM »
I suspect that a coin like this could have been used in "head or tails" bets with drunken soldiers.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 12:09:31 AM »
I suspect that a coin like this could have been used in "head or tails" bets with drunken soldiers.

Peter

Great idea, but a wise soldier took this one out of circulation before any drunk could get his hands on it, and kept it safe.
-- Paul