Author Topic: Opinion on this one please!  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Rabi_R

Re: Opinion on this one please!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 11:33:15 AM »

Till now the Shri Jagganath Nabakelebara coin hasn't opened for booking from Kolkata Mint, But already has it on many online platforms.

See, even you have made the same mistake. The coin has been released as JAGANNATH, not JAGGANATH(as spelled in the online fakes). These are the minute details that collectors are supposed to look at.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 11:39:09 AM »
Extremely sorry for that. Actually, i couldn't find out a better way to express my feeling when i found a open invitation( along with an email id) for coin grading, in a public forum, from some one whose level of expertise is not known to me.

Sorry once again.

Kansalji is well known numismatist. He is invited in several coin release ceremony. His views are sought by mint officials on various topics. He has ongoing efforts to highlight fakes.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Navaneeth

• Numismatics Collections
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 11:50:13 AM »
See, even you have made the same mistake. The coin has been released as JAGANNATH, not JAGGANATH(as spelled in the online fakes). These are the minute details that collectors are supposed to look at.

Very sorry.. Please don't take me for an ride ☺

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
Kansalji is well known numismatist. He is invited in several coin release ceremony. His views are sought by mint officials on various topics. He has ongoing efforts to highlight fakes.

Are these facts written in his profile? I searched thoroughly for Sanjay Kansal ( including Google scholar) a did not find any book or research paper written by him, i did not find any citation. All i could find is he has designed the Mysore University coin. Thereafter i searched for Indian artists and designers associated with coin designing, i found nothing.

The problem is, in a virtual world , we don't know with whom we are talking. So engaging in a equal footing should be the best option.

By the way, i don't know even who you are or what your real name is.

Offline Henk

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 12:03:27 PM »
It is not clear to me what coin we are talking about but the coin is probably silver or has a high silver content. The cheap Chinese copies certainly will not contain silver but will be silver plated. The damage/mark shown is in my opinion a file mark to test whether the coin is plated or not. The metal below the surface looks like copper so the coin appears to be plated and thus a fake.

As a check you should measure and weigh the coin. If it is not silver it will either be to light or to thick.

You state the coin is made from a quaternary alloy. In such an alloy the four components are thoroughly mixed so the colour of the metal should be the same both on the inside and on the surface.

In order to give a good judgement it is essential to see what the coin looks like and to know what the specifications are. So please post a photo of front and back and also give us weight and thickness. This information will all save us a lot of time.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2018, 12:08:49 PM »
I found a open invitation (along with an email id) for coin grading, in a public forum, from some one whose level of expertise is not known to me.

You have been informed about kansal888's credentials now. It is indeed our policy to remove email addies. It's part of our anti-spam effort. I overlooked this one, but I removed it now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

For the same reason, we use handles, rather than real names. When you get to know the other person, you get to know their names as well. This helps to deal with other members, we think. Until trust is established, you can remain at a distance by doing nothing. BTW, I vouch for kansal888. You don't know who I am and now you know why. So what are you going to do about that?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2018, 12:11:51 PM »
Well, proof coins are not legal tenders, so by faking, no one will jeopardize the economy. The price at which these coins are being sold is not that much and the market is also not that big ( proof coins are not mobile phones). So why will the Chinese people take that much trouble of sending fake proof coins over the Himalayas? Last time i checked, this forum is for grown ups.
I am not saying the coin in discussion is fake. Needs complete images of both sides.

Almost all issues have fakes. See an ebook.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jvwFvOgazOPMm8LcYmLEXlmZibs4DIuM
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 05:16:45 PM »
Extremely sorry for that. Actually, i couldn't find out a better way to express my feeling when i found a open invitation( along with an email id) for coin grading, in a public forum, from some one whose level of expertise is not known to me.

Sorry once again.

Dear friend

Invitation was not for grading. You yourself posted a partial image of coin and sought opinion of this forum. We have so many Chinese fakes in the market that I was worried. Pls dont take it otherwise.

Regards

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2018, 07:47:02 PM »
Dear friend

You yourself posted a partial image of coin and sought opinion of this forum.

A patient has lung infection and he goes to the doctor with a x-ray of the lung. Doctor tells him to come back with x-ray of the whole body.
I don't get the point.

See the curvature of the coin in the picture and complete the coin with an imaginary circle. How big will it be? It will not be less than a dinner plate. So if the coin is being shown at the size of a dinner plate, how much is the magnification?
This photograph has been taken with a 135mm Macro(APSC) f 4.5 lens( focussed at approx. 1.5 cms). Ask some one who knows about photography how much depth can be achieved at this setting.

Offline Henk

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »
Your questions:

Do quaternary alloys have this characteristic?
Answer: No

Or does it indicate something else?
Answer: Yes, the coin is damaged. 

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2018, 08:28:35 PM »
Exactly. I have paid approximately 1/5th the mint price. Since purchased online, i couldn't examine at this magnification. This is one problem of buying online. Anyway, since i won't sell it, it doesn't matter. Not visible without a magnifier.

Offline Navaneeth

• Numismatics Collections
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2018, 08:33:13 PM »
I have stated that this seems to be damaged or a fake coin in my first post and asked for the full snaps. Which ever camera or the lens you might be having actually doesn't matter here unless full coin snap of both sides are given. It makes easy for members to justify the coin is a fake or not and may help you to check with your online dealer.

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2018, 08:40:13 PM »
Read what Figleaf has written earlier in the thread and i am convinced about what he has said. I don't feel the necessity to upload any more photos. In fact i had closed the discussion with a note of thanks to him. I don't know why this was once again opened today.

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »
Which ever camera or the lens you might be having actually doesn't matter here unless full coin snap of both sides are given. It makes easy for members to justify the coin is a fake or not and may help you to check with your online dealer.

Afraid that is just not correct - it is not, in general, easy to spot fakes from photos - experienced numismatists will generally refuse to try it

Rob T