Author Topic: Opinion on this one please!  (Read 170 times)

Offline Rabi_R

• A survey of Indian coins issued since 1950
Opinion on this one please!
« on: September 13, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »
Please see the attached photo. I purchased from a dealer online. As per mint information, the coin is supposed to be quaternary alloy. Do quaternary alloys have this characteristic? Or does it indicate something else?

Offline Navaneeth

• Numismatics Collections
Re: Opinion on this one please!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 08:18:48 PM »
This seems to be damaged or a fake coin (If got just the coin ). Please add some more images.

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 08:29:43 PM »
Rest of the coin is perfectly OK. The area is very small, as you can guess from the size of letters and is visible only with a magnifier. The photograph was taken with considerable difficulty.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 09:13:31 PM »
Are you thinking the coin is clad? Don't forget that smooth surfaces always look different from uneven surfaces, if only because the light is reflected differently. Maybe it's also the light, but it looks like this occurred on a proof coin. Proof flans are tortured even more than circulation dies. Something as silly as the metal being slightly polluted or badly mixed might have caused small slivers to break off when the coin is struck two, maybe three times under higher than normal pressure.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »
It is not the light, i have tested it in all types of light and from all angle. I accept your explanation of the manufacturing fault. This one is a proof coin. What i didn't tell, and i should have told, is, i got this one at a much cheaper price ( the set is broken though) than that at which it is being sold by the mint. After knowing this, do you have anything more to say?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
It seems natural to me that if the seller sees that a proof coin looks damaged, he knocks the price down. In fact, if he had't done so it would have been more suspicious. But what do you think happened to the coin?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Navaneeth

• Numismatics Collections
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 09:39:24 PM »
It is not the light, i have tested it in all types of light and from all angle. I accept your explanation of the manufacturing fault. This one is a proof coin. What i didn't tell, and i should have told, is, i got this one at a much cheaper price ( the set is broken though) than that at which it is being sold by the mint. After knowing this, do you have anything more to say?

If rest of the coin is ok and visible only with the lens.. then no need to worry as you have got at better price.

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 09:44:09 PM »
It seems natural to me that if the seller sees that a proof coin looks damaged, he knocks the price down. In fact, if he had't done so it would have been more suspicious. But what do you think happened to the coin?

Peter

I think you have got it in your initial reply. The first thing that came to my mind is electroplating  :)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 09:51:01 PM »
That is easy to check. Electroplated coins very often show a seam at the edge. A thick edge and some judicious heating and filing could hide it, but with that magnification, you ought to be able to spot a seam. In addition, electroplated coins are very often off weight. If your coin is overweight, it's sure to be a fake. Even when it is significantly underweight, it would be suspicious. Do remember that electroplating alone will not give you the proof effect and if you know how to make a fake proof effect, why skimp on the metal? You might as well use something like the real thing.

Peter

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 10:01:05 PM »
Thank you. Gained some knowledge today about coin production technology.