Author Topic: Discussion: What's the oldest coin(s) you found in change in India??  (Read 551 times)

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
I understand this is a little off-topic, but I wanted to see what coins were circulating during certain periods in India's history.

I am not too old and not too young either. I got a 1946 1/4 Rupee as change circa 1982. I remember getting the British India coins of 1/4 Rupee and 1/2 Rupee (1946 and 1947) in change more than once. For some reason you got more 1/2 Rupee coins than 1/4 Rupee ones. The coins of 1950-56 1/4 Rupee and 1/2 Rupee circulated too and I plucked many out of circulation. I never ever found a 1947 Rupee or 1950/54 Rupee in circulation. Come to think of it, no 1962 or 1970 Rupee either in the 1980's.

Eager to hear your finds.

Offline Navaneeth

• Numismatics Collections
Re: What's the oldest coin(s) you found in change in India??
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 05:18:53 AM »
I don't remember which ones are older, but I used to collect 1 Re big coins mostly those days. My mom used to give me commemorative coins and was encouraging me to collect them as since she was working in Canara Bank, I got few 10 Rs (Gandhi and Independence Anniversary) and  2 rs bags, 1 re bags often. My dad went to Germany and Italy and he gave me good number of foreign coins too.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 06:45:24 AM »
Certainly not off-topic. I could also imagine a thread on the latest dates found in circulation.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 07:05:34 AM »
Dear friends

When I was a kid, my dad gave me some shining coins and a brand new stamp to gently push me towards the hobby of coins and stamps collection.

I was only four years old then, but I still have a vivid recollection of my first stamp. It was a 1976 stamp issued on coconut research. I also remember that after few days, I tore and threw away the stamp. Unfortunately I am unable to recall my first coin.

My dad always encouraged me (and he still encourages me)  to take this hobby.

Regards

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 10:03:53 AM »
Never got British India in circulation. Got few from grandpa. Most decimal coinage even from 1950's got in circulation. Never got rs 1 coins before the 1975 ...
Never got Anna coins in circulation. Few pice coins from grandpa.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 10:33:41 AM »
I got this while at school (1980s) from circulation. Though I did not started collection of coins at that time, it did remained with me.
Saikat

Offline Rabi_R

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 02:10:35 PM »
A 1947 George VI Half Rupee. It was not exactly given to me, it was given to my grand mother and i was with her, buying lozenges, the year was probably 1977-78. My grandmother was short sighted and she was not English literate. Back home, it was discovered to be a George half by other members. I don't remember what was done with it. I was not collecting coins then.

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 11:14:58 PM »
Thanks to all those who have responded till now. We can establish that the British India 1/4 Rupee and 1/2 Rupee coins of 1946-47 where seen in circulation at least till the early 1980's.

Does anyone older remember what coins circulated in the 1950's, 60's and 70's? I know most of the folks on boards are not that old but you can ask your parents and grandparents for the same. It would be interesting to know if they remember that.