Author Topic: Rare coin finds from circulation  (Read 584 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Rare coin finds from circulation
« on: September 08, 2018, 02:59:45 PM »
I thought it would be interesting to see which rare coins our members have found in circulation.

Myself I found the following 7:

2 euro cent Netherlands 2011
10 euro cent Netherlands 2007
20 euro cent Netherlands 2008
2 euro Netherlands 2011

2 euro Malta 2012 (Majority representation)
2 euro Monaco 2014
2 euro Germany 2008 F (Mule error)

The first 4 were not minted for circulation, the other 3 have mintages of 400,000; 772,000 and 800,000 respectively. The amount of rare coins I have so far come across is reasonably high as I do quite a bit of coin roll hunting.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:53:19 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
Re: Rare coin finds from circulation
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 03:24:44 PM »
In 50 years of collecting, nothing rare, at least as I define rare and nothing all that unusual from circulation as in "I got it in change" except for a little silver.

Plenty of coins not usually found in ciruclation found in purchased common coin lots and from bank rolls including silver and proof coins. Even found an over-strike (one country's  coin overstruck from another country's coin) in a small batch of coins I bought that I subsequently sold for $200 USD.

Dale

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »
Some nice finds then. I wish the Netherlands still had silver coins in limited quantities as legal tender in circulation :(

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 02:25:33 PM »
Monaco 2 euros 2017
Andorra 2 euros 2015

Neither is hard to find, of course. It's a simple question of throwing a considerable sum of your money at a dealer. However, these two were circulation finds.

When the silver coins were still sold at face, I used some to make payments. I doubt any of them were passed on further, though.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:23:19 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 08:00:50 PM »
Some nice finds then. I wish the Netherlands still had silver coins in limited quantities as legal tender in circulation :(

Next door in Germany we have silver collector coins that could theoretically be used in circulation, at least in this portion of the euro area. You can get 20 euro coins (silver, Ag 925) at face from Bundesbank branch offices and various commercial banks. As the face value (20) is higher than the intrinsic value (roughly 6.50), there is no incentive to hoard the pieces. But why grab them in the first place?

Sure, for one's collection. :) But the idea of getting, say, five and keeping only the nicest one, with the idea of spending the others, will not work well. Not "around here" as most stores do not like dealing with them, and certainly not "elsewhere" - I could not use a German one in Belgium or the Netherlands. Sort of defeats the purpose of a currency union, but the collector coins are not issued for circulation anyway.

I do get an "exotic" euro coin once in a while, either from a small country such as San Marino or a "faraway" member state like Estonia. But admittedly I do not always inspect my change very closely. :-[

Christian

Offline Globetrotter

• Honorary Member
  • As my whimsy takes me....
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 09:32:55 PM »
Hi,

I have asked for unusual (coins you don't see every month) coins instead of "rare" coins.

Ole
Ole

If you're interested in coin variants please find some English documentation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
and in French on Michel's site (the presentations are not the same):
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 04:04:39 PM »
Searched through 4,000 coins this weekend and found some further coins not issued for circulation:

1 euro cent Netherlands 2005
20 euro cent Netherlands 2005
20 euro cent Slovakia 2012

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 03:42:25 PM »
My best find was the undated 20p.  :)