Rare coin finds from circulation

Started by eurocoin, September 08, 2018, 02:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Quote from: eurocoin on December 28, 2022, 12:29:16 PMYesterday I found the following while coin roll hunting:

2 euro Monaco 2019
2 euro Ireland 2018 (Mintage of 83,000 pieces).
2 euro Spain 2017 Asturias (Mintage of 500,000 pieces).

Cool finds! Especially the Monaco piece. Sure, its mintage (in that year) was higher than that of the two others, but it's also the country that counts. :D

Tirant

You lucky!! I still lack the spanish one of Asturias... :'(

eurocoin

It is indeed a nice find. Hopefully you will soon find one too!

The coin will get a special place in my collection. In 2017, when I was still actively hunting for exclusive coin-related information, I requested the design of this coin from the Council of the European Union. The design had not yet been published then. The Council initially rejected the request and sided with the Spanish government, which did not want the design to be published yet. Later I won the case, following a successful appeals procedure. A nice and rare win against a government.

eurocoin

Some recent finds:

10 cent Andorra 2019
5 cent Cyprus 2014 (Mintage of 100,000 pieces)
5 cent Germany 2015 A proof

brandm24

I've been looking through change and cash drawers...when I once worked in retail,,,for as long as I can remember. I never found anything rare but still some interesting coins. The most memorable I think was a 1902 US dime I found in change in a Walgreen's Pharmacy about 6 or 7 years ago. Not valuable or rare but I was very surprised to see it. Must have been from some kid spending his dad's coin collection. ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

FosseWay

Before they resized the UK coins in the 1990s I got the occasional pre-1947 actual silver coin in change. I've also over the years acquired all of the "non-existent" coins from 1982 and one each for 1983 and 1986 from change. In 1982, the 2p, 5p and 10p were only issued in sets; I've also got the 1983 10p and 1986 50p to which the same applies.

In Sweden in the run-up to the change of coins in 2016 everyone seemed to discover old coins down the back of their sofa, and again coins with silver content appeared in change, having disappeared in the 1960s.

In 1989/90 when the Iron Curtain fell in Germany, visitors to the west from the DDR apparently brought with them all sorts of obsolete coinage that superficially (in size and colour) resembled standard Deutsche Mark coins. I got a 5 Reichsmark with Hindenburg on it from the 30s in change then. 

The best place for this kind of thing must be the US though - as well as the occasional real silver coin, I've had wheat and even Indian head pennies and 100-year-old nickels, and that's just from a handful of trips.

eurocoin

Finds from some rolls obtained in the Netherlands. Quite a few new coins but not many rare ones.

2 euro Monaco 2015
2 euro Netherlands 2022 Erasmus [500,000 pieces] Double
2 euro Estonia 2020 Discovery of the Antarctic [750,000 pieces]

And some oddities. A piece with sticker, the first certain countermarked coin that I have come across and several of the coins were for some reason marked with a black dot. As for the sticker coin I had only recently read online about the initiative, so I was surprised to find one of the pieces. It is a campaign started by an alternative online news website to promote the use of cash. A very good initiative.

343715391_248373817740732_7460588903785927428_n-min.jpg

chrisild

Fun finds! As for the sticker, hmm, the next person may use the same method for some political campaign, and people may say, great, that could not happen with my credit card. ::)  The Hamburg coin (from the first German Bundesländer series) almost provokes third party additions, hehe. I don't have any problems with blank space on coins, but that design was way too "static" anyway.

eurocoin

Found another piece from the mini states while coin roll hunting today:

20 cent San Marino 2007. Not minted for general circulation.

San Marino 20 euro cent 2007.jpg

Bimat

As I have mentioned it before, the rarest (or I would rather call it strangest) coin my mom got in change is a Hyderabadi silver Anna coin, instead of a 50 paise coin. That was at least some 1.5 decades back though, no recent significant discoveries....

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

krishna

wow, extreme good luck
i got a US dime (non silver) and a kenyan 1/4 shilling in my change, about 20 to 25 years ago

Offa

My best ever circulation finds have been four 2009 Kew Gardens 50p coins. The last one two years ago in my change from buying a bacon sandwich at the rugby. I've kept one swapped two and gave my grandson one for his collection
All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

krishna

Quote from: Offa on June 13, 2023, 10:43:24 PMMy best ever circulation finds have been four 2009 Kew Gardens 50p coins. The last one two years ago in my change from buying a bacon sandwich at the rugby. I've kept one swapped two and gave my grandson one for his collection
just finding 1 kew gardens is the epitome of modern coin collection success. Finding four means something else altogether, congratulations, you should be awarded the noble prize of coin collecting!!!

Offa

Quote from: krishna on June 14, 2023, 06:01:07 AMjust finding 1 kew gardens is the epitome of modern coin collection success. Finding four means something else altogether, congratulations, you should be awarded the noble prize of coin collecting!!!

Why thank you sir
All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

eurocoin

Quote from: eurocoin on May 20, 2023, 11:13:20 AMand several of the coins were for some reason marked with a black dot.

During a recent coin roll hunt, I found a Brinks roll of uncirculated 2022-dated Dutch 5 euro cent coins. That roll too had a black dot in the middle of on one of the coins at the end. As the rolling and distribution process is completely handled by Brinks, it appears that they are marking the coins. The reason for this remains unknown.