Poll

A coin for the death of Martin Luther King (1968)?

Inevitable
0 (0%)
Likely
1 (9.1%)
Who knows?
2 (18.2%)
Unlikely
6 (54.5%)
Unwarranted
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 22, 2018, 01:56:58 PM

Author Topic: A coin for the death of Martin Luther King (1968)?  (Read 996 times)

Offline Oklahoman

Re: A coin for the death of Martin Luther King (1968)?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 05:33:13 PM »
Most of these commemoratives are authorised by Congress years in advance.  Don't blame Trump when Congress hasn't presented him with an MLK bill to sign. Unbelievable.  They never presented Obama with a bill to sign either.  But somehow it is Trumps fault.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 10:18:26 PM »
Most of these commemoratives are authorised by Congress years in advance.

... and others are not but take much less time. But I agree, it is basically the US Congress that makes these decisions, not the president.

Christian

Offline Oklahoman

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 06:21:09 AM »
Do tell us of some of the commemorative coin programs that have come out on short notice?  Congress does hearings...if they are signed into law than they go to a team of artists.  The designs are then taken to a committee.  Hearings. ..possible redesigns.  .New hearings...recommendations to Secretary of the Treasury...then the Mint gets busy...  these coins are planned out at least a year and probably more like two or more years in advance.  My last recollection of a short turn around was the Kennedy half dollar...mere months.  Which commems took the far less time? Just curious.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 04:54:31 PM »
Well, I was specifically referring to the "authorized by Congress" part of your post. :). Yes, if you add all kinds of preliminary phases and the design decisions, such processes do take much longer. But the 2019 American Legion issues, for example, were decided upon in August (Senate) and September (House) last year. I'd call that pretty fast. Now the part about death anniversaries usually not being honored on, ahem, this country's coins (currently I am in the US for a couple of days) is quite plausible in my opinion ...

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 10:00:37 PM »
The voting period has ended and the "unlikelies" have a majority.

I have tried to replicate a standard polling technique of asking an implied question. In this case, the implied question was complicated by the chance that such a coin would be issued by the US. I initially thought that the chance would be larger than zero, but still a small number. Fortunately, Oklahoman pointed out that, amazingly, the gestation period for new US coins is often measured in years. That streamlined things.

As I tried to make clear, the question included fluff issuers. I mentioned that they will act if they think there is a market for such a coin. That was the underlying question. It was inspired by an old "US civil rights" hand, who said something to the effect that in the sixties, civil rights proponents thought they had won and now they realised they had to keep fighting. This is why I mentioned the overt racism in Trump and his cabinet. The quote struck a chord with me, because I see in some coins (Byzantine coins are the best example) how knowledge (in this case the knowledge to make good natural portraits) can get lost. I am interested in finding the cause of such a loss of knowledge.

The reason why I started this thread on this board is that I feared a contentious debate on either racism or US politics. Glad it didn't happen.

The participation in the poll is too small to be significant and the potential participants are not a representative group. However, they know about coins. I am not sure everyone got the "fluff issuers" angle and kept focussed on US mints instead, but I think the results of the poll do not contradict the conclusion that those of our members who voted think that there is not enough of a market for a Martin Luther King coin these days, in spite of the prominent place he takes in US history. The civil rights fighter got it right. Learning can go up as well as down. That may be human nature, but it is still deeply saddening, if not outright disturbing. Thank you, the one person who voted "likely". I really hope you'll be right.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline kena

• UK-Yank

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 05:15:29 PM »
One country bothered to issue a coin for the occasion. Barbados is one of the 'usual suspects' though.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 05:20:12 PM »
Thank you! Very interesting. Barbados is a frequent stop for US cruise ships, so it may indeed have been issued for a US target audience. There's hope.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Oklahoman

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2019, 05:26:37 PM »
It would be a great coin.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2019, 06:26:37 PM »

Offline onecenter

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 07:07:04 PM »
I would expect to see at least a commemorative silver dollar for Dr. King in 2029, his birth centennial.
Mark