Author Topic: Roman Republic: Lucius Cassius Longinus, AR Denarius, Rome mint, 60 BC  (Read 74 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Roman Republic: Lucius Cassius Longinus, AR Denarius, Rome mint, 60 BC, RSC Cassia 10, Sear 364, RRC 413/1

This type shows a vote being cast in the legislative courts. The V stands for Vti Rogas, or “as you ask”, signifying a positive vote; the opposite vote was initialed with an A for Antiquo, meaning “I reject any change.” These letters were scratched into a wax layer on a wooden tablet and deposited into the cista, or wicker basket, then counted. The control letters on the obverse (one per coin) spell out the moneyer's praenomen and nomen, L. CASSI.

Lucius Cassius Longinus was the younger brother of Gaius Cassius Longinus, one of the assassins of Julius Caesar. Around 52 BC, Lucius was one of the tresviri monetales (three-man commission of moneyers), or was possibly moneyer around 63–62. He joined Caesar at the commencement of the civil war, and was one of his legates in Greece in 48 BC. In 44 BC he was tribune of the plebs but was not one of the conspirators against Caesar. He subsequently joined Octavian in opposition to Mark Antony. And on their reconciliation in 43, he fled to Asia, where he was pardoned by Antony in 41.

Obverse: Veiled female bust facing left, likely representing a Vestal Virgin. Behind, a shallow vessel with a short base and two upright handles, identified as a culullus. Previously she has been identified with the goddess Vesta, but her headdress and culullus link her with the only permanent female priesthood in Republican Rome. The lack of descriptive legend makes identification more difficult and infers that the ancient Romans would know what was being represented. C Before
Reverse: LONGIN I(II V) (Longinus Triumvir), togate male figure standing left, dropping voting tablet inscribed V (Vota) into an urn to left.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Roman Republic: Lucius Cassius Longinus, AR Denarius, Rome mint, 60 BC
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 09:13:12 AM »
The Vestan cult was so important in Rome that I think you may assume that it symbolises Rome here. So the message of the coin would be something like I, Longinus, am devoted to Rome. Fair enough, but your background story shows that Rome had many faces and it was easy to opt for the wrong one. Great coin. So much more than a piece of metal.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.