Author Topic: France 2019: 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall  (Read 303 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
France 2019: 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall
« on: September 07, 2018, 10:11:47 AM »
Next year France will issue a 2 euro commemorative for the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall. A surprising theme.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: France 2019: 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 11:56:47 AM »
Well, what happened in 1989 was important for much of Europe, and the end of that wall also had symbolic value. Guess that is why several euro countries have already issued coins with that theme before. France 2009 (20th anniversary), Belgium 2014; in that year 2014, Austria issued a collector coin but with a more general and maybe more appropriate "Fall of the Iron Curtain" theme, and the Vatican had a commemorative €2 coin about the end of the Berlin Wall.

Germany has so far not commemorated "Nov-1989" on coins - probably because every five years they issue coins that remind of Oct-1990 when the five Eastern states joined the Federal Republic: 2000, 2010, 2015 ...

Christian
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:47:05 PM by chrisild »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 08:39:21 PM »
A historian just revealed a large section of the former east-west barrier hidden away in the woods

Rather hypocritical of the French to celebrate this, given that François Mauriac said in the 1960s that he liked Germany so much, he was glad there were two of them.  :o

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 08:43:32 PM »
Emotionally, the fall of the wall was one of the greatest events of my life. I'll never forget Rostropovich expressing himself the only way he knew, playing cello at the wall.

The cold war was a real war, with real victims. Years after, I was sitting at a table in Moscow with a Russian general. We had had a few vodkas already. I told him, we had a file on him and they probably had a file on me and I was glad the cold war was over. He didn't react, but ordered another round of vodkas. Doubles this time. We were both stone drunk as we left. The following morning, my Russian colleague and I went to Lubyanka, the interrogation centre of the KGB. It had already been turned into something innocent.

Rationally, the fall of the wall was a small step in a process. What was really decisive in that process was not the wall, but Kohl turning Mitterand around on German reunification. THAT's what really changed the world. Kohl had his faults (he just didn't understand finance or economics) but his political inheritance is hard to over-estimate.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 09:44:01 PM »
Rather hypocritical of the French to celebrate this, given that François Mauriac said in the 1960s that he liked Germany so much, he was glad there were two of them.  :o

Well, it was not France alone that decided to cut Germany into four handy pieces after WW2. Obviously it was much easier to unite the three "Western" zones a few years later, and make the Soviet zone a separate country.

In terms of coins, France and Germany have issued a common €2 commem (2013) featuring Charles de Gaulle and Konrad Adenauer. France issued a collector coin (2012) that shows the famous scene with François Mitterrand and Helmut Kohl in Verdun. While I would not expect anything like that from a soon-to-be-ex member state, I do not see anything hypocritical here.

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
France 2019: 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 04:29:31 PM »
Well, what happened in 1989 was important for much of Europe, and the end of that wall also had symbolic value. Guess that is why several euro countries have already issued coins with that theme before. France 2009 (20th anniversary), Belgium 2014; in that year 2014, Austria issued a collector coin but with a more general and maybe more appropriate "Fall of the Iron Curtain" theme, and the Vatican had a commemorative €2 coin about the end of the Berlin Wall.

Germany has so far not commemorated "Nov-1989" on coins - probably because every five years they issue coins that remind of Oct-1990 when the five Eastern states joined the Federal Republic: 2000, 2010, 2015 ...

Christian

Don't forget the silver €5 collector coin San Marino issued in 2014. ;) Highly relevant to San Marino's history... :D

May be because of the theme, is the design going to be highly predictable, or will the French mint come up with a surprise?

Aditya
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You need a parachute to skydive twice.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 08:31:19 PM »
Oops, how could I forget that piece? ;)  But I still think that, while the Fall of the Wall was an important event, it would make sense - especially for countries other than Germany - to pick an even earlier theme. The Austrian-Hungarian border was also opened in 1989 but quite a bit earlier - between spring and late summer. But, Paris picked Berlin for the €2 commem. Hope the design will feature more than a hole in a wall ...

Christian