Author Topic: AKBAR Broad flan Rupee with Victory on Chit-tor (Chittorgarh) inscription!  (Read 245 times)

Offline jaspersaini

One of my coin collector guru in India owns a silver Rupee, from the Akbar's reign with an inscription of his victory over Chittor.

I believe such coins are hard to catch in the coin's world.

I don't have the pictures of this coin, but would like anyone to share their coin/collection pictures for the reference purpose.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: AKBAR Broad flan Rupee with Victory on Chit-tor (Chittorgarh) inscription!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »
A bloody affair, that siege was. I googled for that rupee without succes. As a consolation prize, the story is here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »
Could not find one on ZENO. However, Copper coins are known and are quire rare.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline jaspersaini

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 01:52:07 PM »
The owner of this coin is a seller of Mughal and Delhi Sultans coins to the Museums in India.

Offline ysingh

• Reader
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 11:55:02 PM »
I have seen several examples of Akbar's Chitor coins in copper but never heard of or seen any rupee. However, why would the rupee not exist if mohurs commemorating victory of Chitor were minted. An intriguing possibility.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
At Facebook Mughal group there was discussion held approximately 5 years ago of such silver rupee  here is the link  https://m.facebook.com/groups/300723653356343?view=permalink&id=347474025347972
Comments of SB:
We have discussed this coin here before and it has been published several decades ago. No-one is sure why the word 'Chitor' appears on this type - and there have been doubts if the word is 'Chitor at all! (It is written here as 'ChEEtor' or 'ChAItor' both of which are incorrect spellings for the word). There are also doubts if this was a 'token' judging by crudeness in certain characters. Apart from this extra word, the rest of the legends appear to be as they are on any other 'Jaunpur' rupee.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/