Author Topic: How should I collect world circulation sets by type?  (Read 434 times)

Offline trdsf

• Oooo, shiny...!
    • My Flickr page
How should I collect world circulation sets by type?
« on: August 29, 2018, 08:31:51 AM »
As a matter of curiosity, how would you classify a world birth year set?  It doesn't seem to fall under the characteristics given for a thematic set, but I would argue that it is one since there's a definite theme involved.
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: How should I collect world circulation sets by type?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 10:19:10 AM »
As a matter of curiosity, how would you classify a world birth year set?  It doesn't seem to fall under the characteristics given for a thematic set, but I would argue that it is one since there's a definite theme involved.

There is still much debate over the birth year of the world.  ;) You would have to define such a set for me, with examples. Note that the "Thematics sets from the 1920s to date" topic is for standard circulation coins - not for collector packages. I know that some members are interested in collector packages, and I have occasionally urged them to start their own dedicated topics, at which point they typically go silent.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 03:32:52 PM by <k> »

Offline trdsf

• Oooo, shiny...!
    • My Flickr page
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 04:45:22 AM »
There is still much debate over the birth year of the world.  ;) You would have to define such a set for me, with examples. Note that this topic is for standard circulation coins - not for collector packages. I know that some members are interested in collector packages, and I have occasionally urged them to start their own dedicated topics, at which point they typically go silent.
Pretty straightforward definition -- the circulation coins from one's birth year.  I've been working on mine (1963) for a couple years now, off and on.  I waver between type coins or going for the mintmarks as well (pesky West Germany...)
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 10:18:21 AM »
Pretty straightforward definition -- the circulation coins from one's birth year.

Pretty straightforward, hmm? So let me get this straight - you want to buy all of the coins that were circulating in the world during your birth year? My advice to you is, "Don't do it, trdsf. You'll drive yourself mad! Concentrate on becoming POTUS instead - it's a lot easier".

And if you're thinking of going to your local coin dealer and asking for "a world circulation set", my advice to you is, "Don't do it, trdsf."

I've been working on mine (1963) for a couple years now, off and on.  I waver between type coins or going for the mintmarks as well (pesky West Germany...)

So this is a personal concept. The answer is that only you have the answer. It depends on what you want to do. I gave up actively collecting about a decade ago to concentrate on analysis and research. However, because I am interested in design, I only collected design types. Mint marks didn't interest me, though I was aware of them. The answer is, that it is up to you. By all means, ask others what they collect, to help you crystallise your views and understand the pros and cons about the different approaches. But you'll need to define precisely what it is you're looking for, because I daresay there are different methods of collecting, and different descriptions of those different methods, depending on which country you're in.

I will add that I know that forum member africancoins collects world coins, and he has a system for doing it. Maybe he could join in and give you some advice. It's not my area, but we invite discussion here, which is why we think it's fine to go off-topic, because we potentially learn something from the discussions that ensue. So now I will split off this discussion and give it a topic of its own. Hopefully, you will get members chiming in with advice or stories about their own methods of collecting.  :)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 10:23:33 AM »
Incidentally, I can change the title of the topic for you, if you wish, trdsf.

Members, please read this topic and help out trdsf.  :)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 10:47:24 AM »
Pretty straightforward definition -- the circulation coins from one's birth year.  I've been working on mine (1963) for a couple years now, off and on.  I waver between type coins or going for the mintmarks as well (pesky West Germany...)

Ah, but the Federal Republic of Germany does you a "favor" too: The 1, 5, 10 and 50 Pfennig coins were minted with a "frozen" year until the mid-60s. So all you can collect is the 2 Pf, 1 DM, 2 DM and 5 DM coins. There is no reason to get all mintmarks of course. :)  And as for Switzerland, you can leave the 10 rp/ct and 5 fr coins out - they were not minted in that year.

Christian

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 03:58:09 PM »
The answer is as simple as this: It is your collection so you get to define it  :)

I tend to collect world coins by type (Type as defined by KM but modified by me). I don't worry about
minor types or mint marks (except for US Mint Marks for select series).

But when available I give a strong preference to my birth year 1955. I also like the idea of "100 years prior" so I prefer 1855 for the 19th century coins. I certainly don't refuse to buy a coin if not those dates but I do give a preference to those years when I can.

Any way you define your collecting habits; they are likely to change over time; mine sure have.

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 12:42:55 AM »
As others have said, it's your money, so you decide how to spend it.

The three most important dates in your life are birth, death and marriage. When you know the day of your dath it is too late to start a coin collection. I can understand a birthday set. It gives you insight and what the world was like when you were born. Nevertheless, I think there is a stronger argument for a marriage set.

You were not much aware of the world when you were born. You were a young adult when you got married. Research says people are politically formed for life at around age 20. A marriage set will be like a view of the world when it was to your liking. You will be more interested in what coins in a marriage set show. A birthday set is personally for you. A marriage set is for two people, one of which may at last get some insight in why you want to spend money on coins. Many people do birthday sets. Few do a marriage set.

The major drawback of a marriage set is divorce. If that gets in the way, call your marriage set a "coming of age" set. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline trdsf

• Oooo, shiny...!
    • My Flickr page
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 02:34:39 PM »
Ah, but the Federal Republic of Germany does you a "favor" too: The 1, 5, 10 and 50 Pfennig coins were minted with a "frozen" year until the mid-60s. So all you can collect is the 2 Pf, 1 DM, 2 DM and 5 DM coins. There is no reason to get all mintmarks of course. :)  And as for Switzerland, you can leave the 10 rp/ct and 5 fr coins out - they were not minted in that year.

Christian
I've already ruled out frozen years, just because there's no way to know which year it was actually minted in.  I don't recall off the top of my head any mints that used 1963 repeatedly other than Spain, but even those indicate the actual year elsewhere on the coin (in numerals too tiny for my poor presbyopic eyeballs to read unaided).  And I thought about getting the most recently minted if a denomination wasn't minted that particular year, but discarded that as needlessly complicating things.  About the only thing I'm undecided on is the Sede Vacante Vatican City issue, because while that was 1963, the sede was no longer vacante by the time I was born.  I'm just glad there wasn't circulating gold, my wallet couldn't bear it.

I've... already started going for the mintmarks, so I'm a lost cause there.  :D

Birth year world sets seems to be a thing around here.  I started mine several years ago and hit the state coin show hard that year -- when one of the dealers asked what I was after, I said a world birth year set without specifying the year.  He got a kind of frightened look and said, "Please tell me you're not looking for 1946, I just had three guys come through all doing one for that year!"

It wasn't until rather later that it occurred to me to hope he thought I was a very young-looking born-in-1946 guy... I would really rather not be taken for looking 17 years older than I actually am.  XD

Offline trdsf

• Oooo, shiny...!
    • My Flickr page
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 11:31:53 PM »
Pretty straightforward, hmm? So let me get this straight - you want to buy all of the coins that were circulating in the world during your birth year? My advice to you is, "Don't do it, trdsf. You'll drive yourself mad! Concentrate on becoming POTUS instead - it's a lot easier".

And if you're thinking of going to your local coin dealer and asking for "a world circulation set", my advice to you is, "Don't do it, trdsf."

So this is a personal concept. The answer is that only you have the answer. It depends on what you want to do. I gave up actively collecting about a decade ago to concentrate on analysis and research. However, because I am interested in design, I only collected design types. Mint marks didn't interest me, though I was aware of them. The answer is, that it is up to you. By all means, ask others what they collect, to help you crystallise your views and understand the pros and cons about the different approaches. But you'll need to define precisely what it is you're looking for, because I daresay there are different methods of collecting, and different descriptions of those different methods, depending on which country you're in.

I will add that I know that forum member africancoins collects world coins, and he has a system for doing it. Maybe he could join in and give you some advice. It's not my area, but we invite discussion here, which is why we think it's fine to go off-topic, because we potentially learn something from the discussions that ensue. So now I will split off this discussion and give it a topic of its own. Hopefully, you will get members chiming in with advice or stories about their own methods of collecting.  :)
You know, I think it's the chase that I find fun about this particular set -- especially having a missing one turn up in a markdown bin at the state show.  Only one screw-up this past weekend, I now have two 1963 Swiss half francs... I wouldn't feel so bad about it except I bought both of them the same day and obviously forgot about the first one when I checked the pdf of my database on buying the second one.

I do have a couple of themed sets going -- coins depicting physics, astronomy, chemistry and mathematics (and physicists, astronomers, chemists and mathematicians) and space exploration themed coins (and medals), penny coins of the British Empire/Commonwealth, classical Greek mythological critters, that sort of thing.

And, probably like almost every other coin collector in the world, a mixed-bag selection loosely categorized under the heading "Ooo, neat!"

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 12:39:56 PM »
Collecting is supposed to be fun or interesting.

What interests you is the way it should be.

Is is coins with 1980 on them? Coins that would have been circulating in 1980?

Coins you happen to like?

Doesn't really matter.

At some point the world will die somehow and it won't make any difference to most people in 100 years time what you did. So, do what you like.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 05:34:14 PM »
when one of the dealers asked what I was after, I said a world birth year set without specifying the year.

Please tell me which coins this consists of, from which countries, and why you would expect a dealer to have one ready and made up. It's as if I were to go to a pet shop and ask for a pack of foxhounds, or a Noah's ark.

It wasn't until rather later that it occurred to me to hope he thought I was a very young-looking born-in-1946 guy... I would really rather not be taken for looking 17 years older than I actually am.  XD

I recently saw a documentary about men who looked 17 years older than they are. It concluded that, typically, they often buy the same thing twice in a day without realising it. And you were in there as well. They were trailing you in a car, and they'd also snuck CCTV into your home, without you realising, to make it into a reality show of sorts. Pretty disgusting of them.