Author Topic: Year overlap  (Read 329 times)

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Year overlap
« on: August 31, 2018, 06:07:41 AM »
Arab countries print year in CE and AH on their coins.
Since the two eras are based on different calendars and the beginning of the year never coincide, there is possibility of one year in one era getting two years in other era.
Most of the Arabic countries get their coins minted once in a while, from foreign mints where the order specifies the years to be put on their coins.
However, only Egypt seems to be using its mint for regular mintage.
I could find only one example of overlap.
The year AH1386 being shown as 1966 and 1967.
Perhaps due to high inflation after 1967 war, there was need to reduce the cost the coin.

Is there any example of one year of CE overlapping two years of AH?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Year overlap
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 01:14:15 AM »
There are many such examples on Mughal coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 05:44:15 AM »
My interest is only in 20th century or later ( but primarily current ) coins.
Would find hard to decipher Mughal coins.

Offline Globetrotter

• Honorary Member
  • As my whimsy takes me....
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 02:02:19 PM »
Hi Pabitra,

according to my coin collection list, you find both on Algerian coins:
5 dinar, km124, AD2002 has both AH1422 and AH1423
2 dinar, km130, AH1424 has both AD2003 and AD2004

You have the same on coins from Bahrain, try the 10 fils, km17, AH1412 EITHER AD1991 or AD1992,  for example. That's all that's coming through my grey cells for the moment..... but I'm sure there are other countries and years as well.

Ole
Ole

If you're interested in coin variants please find some English documentation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
and in French on Michel's site (the presentations are not the same):
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 02:20:51 PM »
From memory, some of the first series (1948-70s sometime) of Jordanian coins have two possible AH dates for the given AD date, and possibly vice versa as well.

It is theoretically possible also on Italian coins of the Fascist period, which tended to carry both the AD date and the Fascist era year (in Roman numerals, with the epoch as Mussolini's March on Rome in October 1922). I can't remember though whether in practice you do get two Fascist dates per AD date or vice versa - if it does happen, it will be most likely on the steel issues of the late 1930s and early 1940s.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 02:18:16 AM »
Thanks Ole & Fosseway,
Kuwait full set 1, 5,10, 20 and 50 Fils of 1971AD also appears to meet this criteria.
Can I have an image of any pair?

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 03:02:36 AM »
From memory, some of the first series (1948-70s sometime) of Jordanian coins have two possible AH dates for the given AD date, and possibly vice versa as well.

It is theoretically possible also on Italian coins of the Fascist period, which tended to carry both the AD date and the Fascist era year (in Roman numerals, with the epoch as Mussolini's March on Rome in October 1922). I can't remember though whether in practice you do get two Fascist dates per AD date or vice versa - if it does happen, it will be most likely on the steel issues of the late 1930s and early 1940s.

Could not locate any overlap in Jordan first series.
Fascist era coincided with AD as it was not based on lunar system.
Such overlaps occur only when beginning of the new year in two eras do not coincide and both get represented on the coins simultaneously.
Another era could have been Vikrami Samvat, used in Nepal but both years never appear together in circulation coins.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 03:04:42 AM »
Hi Pabitra,

according to my coin collection list, you find both on Algerian coins:
5 dinar, km124, AD2002 has both AH1422 and AH1423
2 dinar, km130, AH1424 has both AD2003 and AD2004

You have the same on coins from Bahrain, try the 10 fils, km17, AH1412 EITHER AD1991 or AD1992,  for example. That's all that's coming through my grey cells for the moment..... but I'm sure there are other countries and years as well.

Ole

Yes, you are right. Only the first example km124 is 10 Dinar but overlap exists for that only, as indicated by you.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 08:02:09 AM »
Fascist era coincided with AD as it was not based on lunar system.
Such overlaps occur only when beginning of the new year in two eras do not coincide and both get represented on the coins simultaneously.

That isn't strictly correct. A year can begin on some other day than 1 January and still be 365 days long. I take your word for it that the Italians didn't do this, but it would have been entirely possible for them to mint coins with, say, year XX and AD 1941 in Oct-Dec 1941 and year XX and 1942 in Jan-Sep 1942. The other obvious place where this may (have) happen(ed) is Vatican City, where coins tend to carry the regnal year of the pope as well as the AD year.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 10:54:25 AM »
Below I quote my own topic, The Coinage of Fascist Italy.

The dates could in fact represent an overlap, but I thought they were just an error. I have no evidence for either theory.

Italy, 20 lire, 1927.

Yet like the Jacobins of the French Revolution, the Fascists also claimed to have inaugurated a new era, which required its own calendar: Year 1 of the Fascist Era accordingly began with the march on Rome in 1922.

A new silver 20 lire, issued in 1927, was the first coin to give the year in both the Christian era and the so called Fascist era. However, the commonly issued version of this coin shows the letters “A.VI” next to the fasces, an abbreviation of “Anno VI”. Only 100 pieces were minted with the correct Fascist Year 5, “A.V”.  A 1928 version of the coin was issued with the Fascist year correctly shown as “A.VI”.